Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New home owner, some questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New home owner, some questions

Hey everyone! I'm Cory. Bought a home on the first of June with a 20000 gallon vinyl liner pool. The previous owner had let it go for several years, and had to replace the liner and pump as per the purchase agreement, but she didn't tell anyone the pump was fixed, so the water turned green and nasty. Finally got it clear in the last week or so, but it isn't holding chlorine. I was using 3" tablets, but yesterday I switched to bleach. I put 2 gallons of Chlorox in it yesterday at about 2pm, raising it to about 6, and this morning at 6am, it was at 0. Put 2 more gallons in this morning, and now it's in the range of 5-6. Using HTH drop tests. I know other tests are recommended, but that's what I have and can afford for now. Am I going to have an algae problem, or is someting else taking my chlorine? I get direct sun from around 10am to about 4-5PM here in Louisiana. Here are the results from this morning:

CL: 5 or more, kit only shows up to 5
    PH: 7.4
    TH: When I add the titrant, it turns purple before I swirl it, but after swirling, it's barely tinted, barely darker than plain water. I've added about 3" water since I checked last, so maybe there is none left. Last check, it was at 110. I wouldn't worry about it, except the pool place says without hardness, my Dolphin won't climb the walls.
    TA: 160
    CYA:50
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New home owner, some questions

Welcome to the forum.

You are not using nearly enough chlorine.

You need to SLAM your pool

read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

even though up until now I didn't have trouble keeping chlorine?
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I put 2 gallons of Chlorox in it yesterday at about 2pm, raising it to about 6, and this morning at 6am, it was at 0.
    That your chlorine was consumed overnight indicates you have organics in your pool. To clear your pool completely of organics, you need to SLAM it.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

Will do.

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, do I need to do this if my water is clear?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cnshough
    Also, do I need to do this if my water is clear?
    Yep. Trust me - been there.
    15,400 gal, 16x32 vinyl rectangle (sport dig), Intelliflo VS, 240 sqft cartridge filter, Intellichlor IC40, Mastertemp 250, Dolphin supreme M4 cleaning, Pentair EasyTouch4

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

No, you don't have to do it at all but I think you are consuming w-a-a-ay too much chlorine.

Do a precise test, the OCLT, to confirm your chlorine loss and then make your own decision based on that.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

So, can I order just the Taylor fas-dpd titration from amazon and use it alone with my hth kit I already have?

10. Back To Top    #10

I don't know if Amazon has it, but you can order it from tftestkits.net.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

11. Back To Top    #11

Got the fas-dpd agents coming from taylor. I'll assume they won't be here for 2 or 3 days. Will I be OK with just keeping putting a couple gallons of bleach in daily to keep the levels acceptable until I can start the Slam process?

12. Back To Top    #12

It wouldn't hurt to keep some chlorine in there.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.