Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG flicker on then turns off

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG flicker on then turns off

My Aqua Rite SWG decided to turn it self off yesterday. I unplugged the power source and put it back in. It would get a reading on the screen for about 2-3 sec. then turn off. The lights will not turn on. I took the front protector board off and looked at the wiring and mother board ect. I noticed that by part # 570-1062-nd the board has a brownish type color next to it. Does it mean this is burnt out? I can take a pic if necessary. Any help in getting the power back would be helpful, thanks in advance. While trouble shooting this issue is there anything i should do for the pool to maintain balance?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl
    Hayward DE Filter Model 6020

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG flicker on then turns off

I'd cut the lug off that wire and crimp a new spade lug on it and see if it works. If it doesn't replace the current limiter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

is the limiter the black thing? and does the brown indicate it is fried?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jrocksinc
    is the limiter the black thing? and does the brown indicate it is fried?
    Yes, the black thing is the limiter. The brown certainly indicates excessive heat and is a good indicator that the limiter is probably burned out.

To answer your earlier question about balance...yes, you will need to add chlorine as your test kit indicates it until you get your SWG running again.
    Bosqueboy in Virginia

In-ground 20,000 gal vinyl Grecian, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 cartridge filter, Hayward 3/4 HP Superpump, AquaRite salt water chlorine generator, Heat Siphon C575HP heat pump and Blue Diamond robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

just because that 1 area is fried does that mean the whole board is cooked or just that specific piece?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'd cut the lug off that wire and crimp a new spade lug on it and see if it works. If it doesn't replace the current limiter.
    I agree with Bama Rambler. That black wire connection looks very suspicious...errr, ugly at least. Without a copy of the schematic diagram of the SWG board, it is hard to tell what came first. Bad connection on the black wire or a failed current limiter. My guess based on "seat of the pants" trouble shooting is that the limiter failed and excessive current caused the black wire to overheat. It sure would be nice if we had a schematic of this trouble prone gizmo!
    Bosqueboy in Virginia

In-ground 20,000 gal vinyl Grecian, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 cartridge filter, Hayward 3/4 HP Superpump, AquaRite salt water chlorine generator, Heat Siphon C575HP heat pump and Blue Diamond robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jrocksinc
    just because that 1 area is fried does that mean the whole board is cooked or just that specific piece?
    Like I just said in the previous message, it would be nice to have a schematic and then maybe we could answer your question. As it is, the best you can do is replace those things that are visually suspicious...and have a track record of causing the kind of problem you are experiencing.

The low cost of replacing the lug connector on the black wire and the current limiter are worth trying before buying a whole new board. You may be lucky. There have been a lot of folks who have saved big bucks this way.
    Bosqueboy in Virginia

8. Back To Top    #8

i looked and did not see a schematic on the unit... is there a place i should look to find it??
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

I think a lot of time has already been spent trying to find a copy of the schematic. No luck, that I know of. That's not unusual as manufacturers don't usually want the end user fixing stuff. They would much prefer to sell you an entire new board. We may eventually have a disgruntled employee of one of the service centers make it available, but until that happens, I think we just have to try to figure out what is going on by visually inspecting the board and connecting wires.
    Bosqueboy in Virginia

10. Back To Top    #10

ok thanks for the help.. digikey seems to be the only spot to buy the limiter, any suggestions where to buy the spade lug?
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl

11. Back To Top    #11

Most any hardware store, auto supply store, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. will have crimp connectors. While special crimping tools are available, you can usually get a good connection with ordinary pliers or a hammar!
    Bosqueboy in Virginia

12. Back To Top    #12

so, i had the power to the circuit board off all day, i come home and magically it is back on and working. i am not generating chlorine, but am going to crimp that black wire tonight and put the new spade lug on it. thanks for the advice.
    22,000 gallons - salt
    In ground
    vinyl