Rust caused from wire brush bristles

BevF

Jul 14, 2013
Hello folks. Boy do we have a problem! Had a bunch of white scale on the rocks at the waterline and scrubbed them with a wire brush. It worked pretty good. Didn't realize a whole bunch of the little metal wires fell off of the brush and sat in the water and created a whole bunch of stains. By the time we figured out what it was, many more marks appeared mostly on the bottom of the pool. The Kreepy Krawler didn't pick them up, just moved them around the bottom of the pool creating more rust stains. There are several hundred marks about an inch long totally scattered. It is a medium dark blue plaster. I scrubbed a couple spots with scotch brite and it lightened the plaster and still left the rust spot. Tried some absorbic acid today and it worked fairly good but didn't completely remove a few. We have used Leslie Pool's Ultimate Scale and Stain Remover but the bottle states it takes 2 to 4 weeks to work. Any ideas? Thanks for any advise :) Bev

Thanks for the reply. Just as an experiment I bought a jar of vitamin C at the drug store and set the tablets on a couple of the stains. I would positively have to buy it in a large quantity to treat the pool (which is fine). Thank you.

Thank you for the welcome :) There are probably at least 700 rust spots in random spots all over mostly the bottom of the pool. Some of them are fairly concentrated in about a 2 square foot areas. There are about 5 or 6 of these areas and then the other rust spots are just here and there. It is really bad. I'm impatient waiting for the Leslie Pool chemical to work....maybe it will. The directions say it takes 2 to 4 weeks and it has only been 1 week. Thank you for any advise.

Hello again and I need some advise again please. The absorbic acid (6 large jars of vitamin c pills) worked well but didn't completely remove every stain. The water is very cloudy (white cloudy). Chlorine is non existant. Just added some algaecide. My big question is what do I do now? There are a lot of white particles still on the bottom of the pool so I assume it would be wise to vacuum that up? We have kept the automatic pool cleaner out of the pool since the treatment yesterday. The skimmer has just been running. How do I clear up the water and do I need some kind of sequestering agent? This was not from our water, it was from hundreds of one inch long rust stains. Thank you for any answers. On another note, since we have been going through chlorine like crazy I am starting a pool service next week. I'm wondering if I should postpone this for a few weeks. Am I wrong in adding too much chlorine or other stuff they might use would bring this all back? I'm no good at this chemical stuff, my husband always has done it but now we're both confused!

Did you perform the AA treatment, or did you spot treat the stains?
The cloudiness will go away in a little while.
Can you post a full set of test results and how you got them?

Are you running the pump full time?

Good morning Dave. Thanks so much for responding. Well it kind of worked. Spent hours yesterday sweeping, vacuuming and pushing an oily film to the skimmer. The results in the shallow end are much better than the deep end but there are still several stains. It was probably about 50% effective. I got in the pool with a huge bottle of vitamin c tablets and placed them on the stains. I have found that as they dissolve they make about a 2 to 3 inch diameter of powder that I just let sit. A lot of them just vanished, some stayed after I started moving the powder around. Then I went to the store and bought 3 more large jars and just threw them in the pool (these rust stains were everywhere in a very random pattern) We have been having a terrible green algea problem all year and that started up. Put two gallons of liquid chlorine in last night and it started clearing up pretty quickly. This morning the water is clear but there are a lot of stains in the deep end. If we didn't have dark blue plaster I would just have it washed with muriatic acid but have been advised it would change the color and probably produce some random pattern on it. The chlorine tested at 2 last night and ph at 7.2.
Thank you! Bev

If you want the rest of the stains removed you should follow the AA treatment. The way you did it, is not very effective. Spot treating works well if you have a few spots, but not for the amount you report.

As for the algae problem, you need to get a good test kit and have a good set of test results.
Can you post a set of test results and how you got them?

Hello again, I did the AA treatment several weeks ago and it did absolutely nothing. 5 pounds in a 17000 gallon pool. What do you mean by posting test results and how you got them? (Sorry, I'm not a chemical person) The pool has been eating up chlorine this summer...a five gallon bucket of powdered chlorine in a month and it is not a big pool. That's why we're switching to a pool service for $42 a month this next week. I have learned a valuable lesson from this...no wire brushes in the pool to scrub the rocks ever again :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't recommend that you use a service. If you spend some time reading and learning here you'll learn why your pool is "eating" chlorine and more importantly what to do about it.

If you do decide to use the service check the contract. A lot of pool services don't include chems so you'll be worse off than you are now.

Thanks Dave. Pretty much that's all the service includes is the chemicals. We are responsible for everything else (which is the easy part). However I will take your suggestion and read and learn. Thanks so much! Bev

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.