Do I need a new filter? Recommendations?

codyt

Jun 19, 2013
Stilwell, Kansas
My pool hasn't had any water in it in a few years (I bought it out of foreclosure). I had a couple of pool contractors out to look at a hole in the skimmer and some renovation work. Both contractors took a look in the equipment room and upon seeing my sand filter, said I needed a new one. This was without even taking a close up look at the filter. I've attached a couple of pictures of the filter (I took off the clamp ring to take a look inside). Is it really that obvious that I need a new filter without even giving the current filter a close inspection or trying it first?

If I do need a new filter, I've been looking at the Pentair Sand Dollar filters. What size would you recommend for my pool?

Thanks for your help.

Cody

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Filter info.jpg
    Filter info.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 92
Can you fil in the detail about you pool? Size, material (plaster, concrete vinyl,...), filter information from the label, pump, and here you are .

Sorry if this is in you sig I can't see it in Tapatalk

If I do need a new filter, I've been looking at the Pentair Sand Dollar filters. What size would you recommend for my pool?
Yeah, I think it's time for a new filter. That one looks neglected and finished. A new filter should have a GPM capacity of somewhere around 50-70 GPM That'll fit nicely with your pool and pump size.

Thanks for the replies and help.

So it sounds like I should get a new filter. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the Pentair sand filter lines. What is different between the Sand Dollar, Tagelus, & Cristal Flo II lineups?

Would the Sand Dollar SD 80 be a good pick for my pool? It has a flow rate of 75 GPM, but only an area of 3.5 square feet, Isaac-1 suggested 4.5 square feet. But this will still be an upgrade over the 2.7 square feet of the existing filter.

Thanks,
Cody

The SD80 is a little small at 3.5 sq. ft. but would work. A better fit for your pool size would be the [s:3lxwy3vo]Tagelus[/s:3lxwy3vo] Triton TD100 (4.91 sq. ft.). The Tagelus has the side mount valve like you current filter. The only issue I see with going this big with the filter is that your current pump may not be able to backwash it correctly. Can you post the model of you pump?

linen said:
The SD80 is a little small at 3.5 sq. ft. but would work. A better fit for your pool size would be the Tagelus TD100 (4.91 sq. ft.). The Tagelus has the side mount valve like you current filter. The only issue I see with going this big with the filter is that your current pump may not be able to backwash it correctly. Can you post the model of you pump?

The Tagelus I've seen has the top mount valve like the Sand Dollar. http://pentairpool.com/pool-owner/produ ... er-176.htm I just can't figure out how it's different from the Sand Dollar (other than costing about $200 more).

My pump model number is: P2RA5D-180L

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 55

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at your pumps performance curve, it is pump curve B here, don't think it will backwash the larger Triton 4.91 sq. ft. sand filter properly. Typically, manufacturers want 15 gpm/ sq. ft. of flowrate to backwash so that would be 4.91X15= 74 gpm. Your pump even at low head pressure can't supply that much flowrate. For the SD80, I think it is right on the edge of being able to backwash it: 3.5*15= 53 gpm which would be at ~40 of head pressure on your pump, so I think it would work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.