Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a new filter? Recommendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a new filter? Recommendations?

My pool hasn't had any water in it in a few years (I bought it out of foreclosure). I had a couple of pool contractors out to look at a hole in the skimmer and some renovation work. Both contractors took a look in the equipment room and upon seeing my sand filter, said I needed a new one. This was without even taking a close up look at the filter. I've attached a couple of pictures of the filter (I took off the clamp ring to take a look inside). Is it really that obvious that I need a new filter without even giving the current filter a close inspection or trying it first?

If I do need a new filter, I've been looking at the Pentair Sand Dollar filters. What size would you recommend for my pool?

Thanks for your help.

Cody
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Empty 16'x32'x(8' deep end & 4' shallow end) indoor inground pool, ~23,000 gallon, Sta-Rite 3/4HP pump, Minimax 150M Plus millivolt heater, Heldor PF-50 sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWCG (T-Cell-15)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need a new filter? Recommendations?

Can you fil in the detail about you pool? Size, material (plaster, concrete vinyl,...), filter information from the label, pump, and here you are .

Sorry if this is in you sig I can't see it in Tapatalk
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

P.S. Yours seems way under sized for your pool, ideally you want something over about 4.5 Sq Ft if sticking with a sand filter
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If I do need a new filter, I've been looking at the Pentair Sand Dollar filters. What size would you recommend for my pool?
    Yeah, I think it's time for a new filter. That one looks neglected and finished. A new filter should have a GPM capacity of somewhere around 50-70 GPM That'll fit nicely with your pool and pump size.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies and help.

So it sounds like I should get a new filter. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the Pentair sand filter lines. What is different between the Sand Dollar, Tagelus, & Cristal Flo II lineups?

Would the Sand Dollar SD 80 be a good pick for my pool? It has a flow rate of 75 GPM, but only an area of 3.5 square feet, Isaac-1 suggested 4.5 square feet. But this will still be an upgrade over the 2.7 square feet of the existing filter.

Thanks,
    Cody
    Empty 16'x32'x(8' deep end & 4' shallow end) indoor inground pool, ~23,000 gallon, Sta-Rite 3/4HP pump, Minimax 150M Plus millivolt heater, Heldor PF-50 sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 sand filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWCG (T-Cell-15)

7. Back To Top    #7

Get the largest your pump (and wallet) will handle.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

The SD80 is a little small at 3.5 sq. ft. but would work. A better fit for your pool size would be the [s:3lxwy3vo]Tagelus[/s:3lxwy3vo] Triton TD100 (4.91 sq. ft.). The Tagelus has the side mount valve like you current filter. The only issue I see with going this big with the filter is that your current pump may not be able to backwash it correctly. Can you post the model of you pump?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    The SD80 is a little small at 3.5 sq. ft. but would work. A better fit for your pool size would be the Tagelus TD100 (4.91 sq. ft.). The Tagelus has the side mount valve like you current filter. The only issue I see with going this big with the filter is that your current pump may not be able to backwash it correctly. Can you post the model of you pump?
    The Tagelus I've seen has the top mount valve like the Sand Dollar. http://pentairpool.com/pool-owner/produ ... er-176.htm I just can't figure out how it's different from the Sand Dollar (other than costing about $200 more).

My pump model number is: P2RA5D-180L
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry I meant the triton not tagelus. I am not sure of the difference between the tagelus and the sand dollar line.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Looking at your pumps performance curve, it is pump curve B here, don't think it will backwash the larger Triton 4.91 sq. ft. sand filter properly. Typically, manufacturers want 15 gpm/ sq. ft. of flowrate to backwash so that would be 4.91X15= 74 gpm. Your pump even at low head pressure can't supply that much flowrate. For the SD80, I think it is right on the edge of being able to backwash it: 3.5*15= 53 gpm which would be at ~40 of head pressure on your pump, so I think it would work.