My beautiful green swamp that has turned yellow

oh i didn't even think to post an original :hammer: pic of it.
you could not even see the first step, now you can!
here is a pic of it thus far

I'm keeping the FC around 13, which takes a lot less bleach now than to get it there, which my pocket loves

Attachments

• 20130715_102732.jpg
    20130715_102732.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 74
Yeah, it looks like the chlorine was being used up fast...you were doing things correctly, though like karma said you could have overshot a little in this case since it was being used so quickly.

It looks like you able to keep it at/close to your SLAM level so I think you are making progress!. Test as often as you can and redose back to your SLAM level.

Going back to the passing car analogy. If you assume the killing the algae in your pool is like passing a car, you are going 26 mph to pass a car going 25 mph. You will pass the car/clean the pool by doing so but it's false economy. You need to step on the gas (add chlorine) to get you to 40 mph to pass the 25 MPH car and then slow down.

I would aim for at least 16 FC during your shock and get it done quicker. You are getting close when your water is white/blue if you algae goes white when dead. you are at the stage before... white/green. I would say, add some FC to get to 16 and then see what happens. Every day you "sneak up on the algae" is another day it continues to grow and another day you pay for extra chlorine.

Can I add some clarifier to the water now so that I can see if I have gotten all the debris out of the bottom? I have a neighbor that said he once had his pool cloudy and green and he kept vacuuming the bottom and never got anything up he finally drained it and there was 6" of packed leaves in the bottom. Now the pool is cloudy blue.

Or should I just keep doing what I am doing and let the filter clear it up?

I should say, until you are holding your FC, adding DE may be counter productive in that it can reduce you water flow and waste your high FC water. The filter plugs up and requires backwashing your high FC water to waste.

ok guys I am now out of bleach so I am heading back to the store. I had bought about 40 gallons of bleach for around $120. Starting to run low on cash, but I know I'm too far ahead and invested now. FC is some where around 14, ran out of reagent to test it, so getting more of that as well. Which is my best option for chlorine, should I continue buying bleach or switch to something that packs a bigger punch?

It all depend on how easy getting 12% is in your area. In my area, most stores do not stock 12% and I have not seen 12% at any feed or yard stores so for me the 10% at Wal-Mart 2 6.47 for two gallons is cheapest and easiest. ($0.25/FC ounce) the Great Value is my second choice (again at WalMart) for 2.98 for 121 oz. If they are out of both Home Depot and Lowest are cheaper but that requires going somewhere else.

I figure in my time and gas costs into my decisions. I don't drive to save a dollar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The best way to compare bleach/liquid chlorine is to use the cost per ounce of Sodium Hypochlorite i.e. NaClO (the active ingredient in bleach/liquid chlorine). So you take price/(volumeInOunces)/(%NaClO)...in you case this is $120/(40 gallons *128 ounces/gal)/0.0825= $0.28/oz of NaClO which is an above average price.

Where do you live? Around here (Minnesota) we can consistently get 12.5% liquid chlorine for around $0.15/oz NaClO

mdb_007 said:
Live in Alabama. the highest I have found is at walmart and is what I am currently using. Would there me any issues switching to chlorinating granules or using shock packaged chlorine?

That would be counter productive.

Granules and "shock" tend to be dichloro, which will drive your CYA up. Also labeled as "shock" is cal-hypo, which will drive your CH up.

Neither would be good at this stage.

If you can find 12% or 10% at your local hardware store or pool store (but don't tell them what you are doing!!), you will have to adjust your dosages a little.

The white film is probably a result of the SLAM process killing algae and will disappear as you continue to chlorinate...but sometimes folks make the mistake of using the "outdoor" or "splashless' bleach instead of the plain bleach which can cause it too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.