Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello TFPF - New User Needs Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello TFPF - New User Needs Help

Hello,
    I have been reading and lurking here for months and thought I had learned a lot but my water will not do what I want it to and I am frustrated and in need of help and suggestions.

TEST RESULTS
    TEST RESULTS
    TEST RESULTS

FC 1
    CC .5
    TC 1.5
    PH 7.9
    TA 130
    CH 230
    CYA 20
    SALT 2930

My water looks a little cloudy and I can't get the CYA up using stabilizer or the TA down using muriatic acid. I realize my CH is too low due to the low level of CYA. I want to borate the pool for super clarity but I can't get my TA down. If you have some suggestion of where I'm going wrong wrong, I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. Happy swimming and thanks for a GREAT website!
    Intex Ultra Frame 18'x52" - 6.9K gal, 2650 GPH Sand Filter/Pump, Krystal Clear SWG & Ozone System, TF100 test kit, Wanda the Whale Pool Vac, New Install 05/31/2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello TFPF - New User Needs Help

Welcome to TFP!

I'd suggest you concentrate on chlorine and CYA before you worry about borates. If your chlorine is right, your water will be dazzling. Get your CYA up to where your SWCG manufacturer recommends and add chlorine as needed to maintain a good level 24/7.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

How did you get 7.9 for your ph number?
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't worry about borates until you are comfortable testing and keeping your water balanced. Don't sweat that TA either.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Since your water is cloudy, you want to SLAM the pool, which is easier with a lower CYA. Low CH doesn't matter in a vinyl pool. You can find the link to SLAM in my signature.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

My water looks a little cloudy and I can't get the CYA up using stabilizer or the TA down using muriatic acid. I realize my CH is too low due to the low level of CYA. I want to borate the pool for super clarity but I can't get my TA down. If you have some suggestion of where I'm going wrong wrong, I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.
    Chlorine! Chlorine! Chlorine! Chlorine! You express concern about all your other parameters but are overlooking the primary reason your pool is cloudy.

CYA up, TA down, borates.....none of these will make your pool crystal clear when you have inadequate chlorine.

SLAM your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

When you any cloudy, it means you have something in your pool. I can see cloudy in my pool when the CC measures less than 0.5. I find it usually meant my FC slipped below the minimum for my CYA for a couple hours.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100