Add CYA even if using Trichlor Pucks?

May 17, 2008
Am I crazy to consider adding CYA while still using Trichlor pucks? I've been using the pucks (in addition to bleach) for about 5 weeks now and all of the CYA tests I've done (TF Kit and strips) have indicated I have little to no CYA. I thought after 5 weeks of using the pucks in my feeder my CYA levels should have risen. Knowing that the only way to get rid of excess CYA is to drain water, I really don't want to find myself in that situation. As soon as I get my CYA levels up using the pucks, I planned on not using them anymore and strictly sticking with bleach. But I'm afraid that I could be wasting bleach by not having sufficient amounts of CYA. My FC seems to stay steady so perhaps it's not an issue? Any thoughts?

Here are the readings from last night:

FC = 4
CC = 0
TA = 100
CH = 120 (this I need to get up - I have a gunite pool)
PH = 7.2
CYA = ~10 or less?? (on the test with all the solution in the tube I can clearly see the black dot)

So, should I break down and add CYA?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

If you have pucks to use up, I don't see the harm in continuing to use them, your other numbers all seem ok to me. And if your FC is steady.....

I would not buy more, once they run out just switch to regular chlorine. If your CYA is still on the low range at that time, it's cheaper to just buy the CYA and add it thru the skimmer or in a sock, using bleach/chlorine as your primary sanitizer. That's the problem with the tri-chlor pucks - they tend to be much more costly.

Thanks for advice Frustratedpoolmom. That was exactly my plan, but since I haven't seen any noticeable increase in CYA after 5 weeks, I was wondering how much longer I should wait before adding CYA (and using the pucks until they're gone) since I don't seem to be getting enough CYA from the pucks... or I'm doing the CYA test wrong.

If you are concerned about the test result, you could always go to the nearest pool store and ask them to test it for you....?

Honestly, it took 3 years before I had too high CYA issues, from using tri-chlor. Once your CYA is in range, it's not good to keep adding it. But using pucks as the only method to get there will take a while. As long as your chlorine is steady and you aren't having any issues, I would think it's fine to use them up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.