Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool chemistry

Thank you for your forum! I am 8 months pregnant and enduring the 90 + degree days of wonderful Colorado. The pool is surely a refuge. However, the chemistry is a bit confusing. We have been using (apparently) the dreaded test strips and have had consistent low ph, and cya (the strips just say stabilizer) that won't even register. Since we have been trying to add stabilizer/conditioner, the fc and cc have both been increasingly high, even though the cya and ph remain low. Is this a case of just bad strips? What can I do to lower fc/cc?

Thanks in advance!
    Rebekah
    3,300 gallon, AG, vinyl, cartridge filter on an Intex Krystal Clear 637R 120 volt pump 1,000 gallons per hour.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool chemistry

Welcome!

Yes. Strips are a half step above terrible and a half step below worthless. You have to get a good test kit to be able to trust the results.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

It's going to hard to help you out without some valid test results with a real test kit. I think you know those strips are worthless.

I'm going to suggest you spend some time in pool school. Check out ABC's of water chemistry.

How many gallons of water ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

save yourself some headaches and order the TF-100 test kit. It will give you accurate results and make you feel like a smart chemist. Then, post your results here and the super experienced TFP peeps will point you in the right direction.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, ditch the strips. A high quality test kit is the most important thing that a pool owner can have.

6. Back To Top    #6

We also have an aqua chem test kit. It shows the fc and cc are in the 5.0 range. It also showed the ph as being low, which reading in the pool school and abc's of water chemistry, seems weird. Should I be concerned about the high chlorine and if so, are there steps to reduce? We get a lot of sunlight, and it would seem from reading that it should be lowering the chlorine??? And also says ph tends to drift up. Where is the best place to buy the TF-100?
    3,300 gallon, AG, vinyl, cartridge filter on an Intex Krystal Clear 637R 120 volt pump 1,000 gallons per hour.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFTestkits.net.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Why do you think your chlorine is high ? What is your CYA level ? CYA level determines your chlorine level.

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Well we have two types of tests. Both are Aqua Chem brand. The strips show "stabilizer" as 0 (though I have added upwards of 2lbs conditioner in the last two week. The other Aqua chem test we have are drops and only tests Chlorine and pH. Both tests show high fc and cc. The chlorine levels were fine until I started adding all the conditioner to raise the CYA. So I assume the test strips just aren't showing the right level on CYA?

10. Back To Top    #10

Honestly we have no valid test results that I or you can trust.

That's why you need a quality test kit so you know exactly where your levels are. It will make your life alot easier and pool more enjoyable.

Do what you have to to keep your water clear and get the test kit. Then get back to us with some valid test results.

Jeff