Help! PH & TA is high, how can I lower?!

Jul 13, 2013
We are a new pool user. We shocked pool also added chemicals according to the HTH pool start up kit it has been 3 days. Our PH is around 7.9 slightly above max of 7.8 and the TH is at 180, max is 150. Can someone please help us in simple directions on how we go about lowering these. Also what products. Also chlorine is at 0. Pool: Intex above ground, 14x42. Area Wisconsin. How to raise chlorine level to the 1/2 minimum. Products used: HTH shock swim, HTH chlorine granules, HTH stabilizer & conditioner, HTH test strips. Thanks!

Re: Help! PH & TA is high, how can I lower?!

Welcome to TFP.

Wow. Where to start. Wish you would have found us before you put all that stuff in the water.

1 You need to read and read pool school
2 You need to get one of the reccommended test kits. Test strips are no good.
3 You need to get some chlorine in there ASAP before algae sets up shop.
4 We need all your pool info. How many gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Re: Help! PH & TA is high, how can I lower?!

Short answer: muriatic acid to lower pH. Buy it at any hardware/big box store. Use poolcalculator.com to determine dosage. TA is fine. Leave it alone for now.

Long answer: do everything pwrstrk said, but do it all twice. Seriously, reading Pool School and getting a test kit are that important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.