Test Results, Where do I go from here?

Jun 18, 2013
So, we filled our pool almost 2 weeks ago and we've been waiting for a part for our SWG. It just came and we're ready to get everything figured out.

Here are my results from today:

FC= 2.5
CC= 0.5
pH= 7.2
TA=130
CYA= 0 (I've been dissolving 0.5 pounds of CYA in a sock over the past 7 days and know I have to add more. Not sure how accurate this test is at the moment).

I need to add 95 pounds of salt according to the SWG manual. I have 80 pounds on hand, so I'll add that tonight and run to the store tomorrow to get more.

According to the pool calculator I need to add 8.6 oz of 8.25% bleach, so I'll do that tonight.

Should I just add about 0.5 pounds of CYA and retest in about a week?

Adding the CYA will decrease pH, right? Should I do anything about the pH now? Also, should I worry about the high TA, or just get the chlorine and CYA under control?

Thanks! By the time I have this figured out pool season will be over in New England. :roll:

With CYA starting at zero, you need to add at least a pound of CYA before you will be able to measure a level. Given you have a SWG, you will want to raise CYA to between 70 and 80. I would add another 1.5 lbs, and test CYA in a week.

Your PH is fine for now. It will tend to go up on it's own, though not quite as quickly as the CYA lowers it. Still it will catch up to where it should be soon enough.

Add a bit less salt than you think you need. It is much easier to raise salt later than it is to lower salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.