What do you use to roll up your discharge hose?

TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have about 100' of discharge hose (I have to run it out to the street. . .) Anyway, I've been rolling it up by hand, and I imagine most do this. But with the 15"+ of rain we've gotten in the past 1.5 months, I've been using it a LOT! Anyone found any good methods or products to roll this up?

I'm thinking about taking a small piece of PVC, cutting a slot in it the width of the hose, and then fashioning a handle and winding it up that way. Any other thoughts?

Somebody here a while back used one of these:
34270.jpg

Last time I used a chunk of pvc pipe. Two or three times a year makes it hard for me to justify a reel.

Thanks, Richard. Just used the PVC method - worked fine, but Dang that gets heavy near the end of 100'+!

Just found that cord reel online and it's in stock my local Home Depot. I'll give it a shot for $10! If it's no good, at least it's local. Thanks for the idea, hadn't though of an extension cord reel, but looks like it might be big enough.

I buried mine.... made it out of plastic flex intex hoses (4 of them) so it stays where it is all the time, drains to an area behind my shed. if i was you and was constantly rolling up that hose, I would hard pvc plumb it and bury it 6 inches deep so I wouldnt have to fool with it. it takes no time to bury it 6 inches, and its not like you need to worry about codes... its just a drain hose.

Mine is buried all the way to the street as well and since it is open no worry about freezing (especially being I am in Alabama LOL). As far as cutting the curb, mine is not cut. it runs over the curb. just cut at an angle so it looks neat. if you want put some green paint on it. Then every so often I spray a bit of round up around it so I need not get too close with the lawn mower or have to use the weed trimmer.

TroubleFreePat said:
I've been seriously thinking about that. . . But running it 100' to the street and cutting the curb is slowing me down! :)

well, the 100 foot is just an hour or so shovel time, and i wouldnt cut curb, just get 2 90 degree elbows and have the line pop up right at the curb, and dump out on it or over it. if that idea would bother you, with a 3 hp pump, you could also just shallow up the trench near the curb and leave the pipe end exposed near the curb and the water would probably shoot up over the curb with that much pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.