Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raccoon scat

1. Back To Top    #1

Raccoon scat

I have a swg in ground pool and had found raccoon scat on the steps. Raccoons 60-80 % carry raccoon round worms and the eggs in feces number in the millions. Chlorine doesn't kill them and if ingested they can lead to blindness organ damage and death, although rare. The CDC says empty the pool. My issue is there is no real information on the viability of the eggs in the water over time. If he was a problem pools, rivers, lakes across the us would be infected. I wrote to a raccoon habilitation facility and they said the the chlorine and uv should degrade the eggs over time maybe a month.

Short of emptying the pool each time I may find scat on the pool steps I thought I'd install a uv system as well.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raccoon scat

Welcome to TFP!

The CDC in this link also gives the option of 24 hours of filtration followed by backwashing/cleaning and removal/replacement of the filter media. You need to wear gloves and be careful with the cleaning. Their second option is to drain the pool, but basically the eggs are not so small as to not get caught in the filter so good circulation with filtration should remove them (as shown in this link the eggs are 80-85 Ám by 65-70 Ám in size so even sand filters can capture them). 7 turnovers would filter 99.9% of the pool water (with ideal circulation and mixing) so 24 hours implies a 3.4 hour turnover. If your turnover is longer, then filter for longer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool had run for about 7 hours a day for a week. I back washed the filter and cleaned out and replaced the sand. Thanks for the advice....

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, this may not be something you want to do, but what about trapping the coons? If they were getting in my pool, I'd be fighting them with all means necessary.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow didn't know any of this.

I recently got a motion activated sprinkler to keep our dogs away from an area of the yard. It works great!

Like this http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Sc ... n+detector

Now i want two more.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing