Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool filter for 18x33

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool filter for 18x33

Hi all,
    I shopping for a new pool filter for the 18x33 it's ~54" deep or so.
    ~10k gal
    I was looking at the pentaire 420 sq ft cartridge filter, would this be a good fit for my pool?
    Let me know and thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool filter for 18x33

For your size pool I believe a 148 sq foot cart is the min we would reccommend. I think that's plenty big enough the one your looking at.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

What size pump will you match with that ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I actually have 2 pumps I can use
    One is a 1hp and the other is a 1.5 hp
    Will either of these work for the pent 420

Should I get the pentaire 320 instead?

5. Back To Top    #5

I leaning towards the I hp. Maybe the 320 option would also be on the table.

Lets see if somebody else chimes in on this.

Jeff

6. Back To Top    #6

Bump

Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

Your pool volume is 15700 gallons...so we would recommend a minimum 236 sq. ft. cartridge filter. However with cartridge filters you can go a big as you want it will reduce how often you have to clean it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

There you go. I was going by the 10k he said it was.

Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

For the pump, both may be bigger than ideal...post the make and model of both.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

A 2 speed pump would also work well I would think.

Jeff

11. Back To Top    #11

2 speed pumps are great. You can have one speed for say vacuuming it, and another speed for filtering the pool or running the skimmer. When it comes to pool equipment there is always a ******* contest between the manufacturers about whose is better. It basicially comes down to efficiency of the motor. On a motors name plate there will be a box that says "sf". That's the service factor or the motor. The higher number, the more efficient the motor is. If there is ANY way that you could run a 220 volt pump, I would do it, you will just have to have room in your electrical panel for your house, and you will most likely have to run hard plastic conduit with the wires inside of it over to your equipment. You are billed monthly on kilowatt hours and that has a relationship to how many amps your house and system draws. If for instance a 110 volt motor draws 10 amps, a 220 volt pump will draw 5 amps give or take a tiny bit. As voltage goes up amperage goes down almost by measurements of 1/2.

It will cost you more to wire a 220 volt system because of the conduit, wire, and adding a breaker to your panel, but in the long run it'll save you money on your monthly electric bill.
    28k gal, IG plaster, 2 HP Hayward pump, 425 sq ft Hayward Swimclear cartridge filter, Pentair auto chlorine feeder, Hayward Navigator suction cleaner, spa w/spill over to pool, Hayward Super II pump running waterfall feature

12. Back To Top    #12

Both pool pumps are Hayward power flo

13. Back To Top    #13

Then use the smaller one, though it is still likely larger than you need. Why are you replacing your filter?

14. Back To Top    #14

You could sell both on CL and get a 1hp 2 speed hayward matrix. Good pump. I have one.

Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

Main reason I want to upgrade is cause I am constantly cleaning the filter and also it's a 150 sq ft filter, just seems undersized cause I have to clean it every weekend.
    That's a good idea about selling them and getting a 2 speed.