replacing eyeball returns

twd000

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
I have 7x of this style return, plus 2x 3/4" female thread ports that look like a return should be there. They're all cracked or missing. I took this part into our local pool store and he said they didn't have any returns this small. He also tried to convince me that I needed to remove part of the pipe that's in the wall. Not happening.

I think I just need this 8-sided nut plus an eyeball for each return, and I can screw them into the existing male thread jutting out of the wall. It looks to be about 1.25", but a 1.25" pipe thread is too big for the nut.

I browsed around online and couldn't find any replacement parts that look this simple. Everything looks like a multi-part diverter/return assembly.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Return eyeball fittings always have three pieces, the two that appears in your photos, and a third that looks like a short piece of threaded pipe. With the eyeball fitting removed you should have a hole with female threads.

Eyeball fittings are fairly standard parts, and should be available just about anywhere. For example, Amazon has lots of them.

I'm not "missing" any pieces. I am not going to try to extract the third piece from inside the wall for fear of breaking off the pipe inside the wall. This pool is REALLY old.

So I guess I will buy a three-piece replacement and just throw away the internal pipe part? I'll have to check a 1.5" pipe thread to make sure it is a match; that seems like the most common size.

I brought my return into two local pool stores to check the size. They had three different models, but none fit my Inner Diameter (they were all larger than what I have). I checked the thread pitch at Home Depot and couldn't find a match in the plumbing section. 1 1/4" is too big, and 1" is too small. aybe 1 1/8"?

Searching on Amazon has not turned up any results. The listed size corresponds to the part that goes into the wall. What I care about is the outer ring diameter.

One of the returns that is missing the inner sleeve, which allows me to feel inside. It seems to be about 3/4" female thread. Is this about right for a new return? It seems like the whole assembly will stick out of the wall too far, since the body of the new assembly is larger than 3/4" diameter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.