Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: replacing eyeball returns

1. Back To Top    #1

replacing eyeball returns

I have 7x of this style return, plus 2x 3/4" female thread ports that look like a return should be there. They're all cracked or missing. I took this part into our local pool store and he said they didn't have any returns this small. He also tried to convince me that I needed to remove part of the pipe that's in the wall. Not happening.

I think I just need this 8-sided nut plus an eyeball for each return, and I can screw them into the existing male thread jutting out of the wall. It looks to be about 1.25", but a 1.25" pipe thread is too big for the nut.

I browsed around online and couldn't find any replacement parts that look this simple. Everything looks like a multi-part diverter/return assembly.

25K gal IG plaster pool w/ spillover jacuzzi, 12 Gulf Solar coils (leaking/currently bypassed), ancient Raypak propane heater (rusted/currently bypassed), Pentair 001018 VS pump, 4.9 sq ft Triton II sand filter, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: replacing eyeball returns

Return eyeball fittings always have three pieces, the two that appears in your photos, and a third that looks like a short piece of threaded pipe. With the eyeball fitting removed you should have a hole with female threads.

Eyeball fittings are fairly standard parts, and should be available just about anywhere. For example, Amazon has lots of them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You are missing a piece it is as your pool store said still in the wall
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm not "missing" any pieces. I am not going to try to extract the third piece from inside the wall for fear of breaking off the pipe inside the wall. This pool is REALLY old.

So I guess I will buy a three-piece replacement and just throw away the internal pipe part? I'll have to check a 1.5" pipe thread to make sure it is a match; that seems like the most common size.
    25K gal IG plaster pool w/ spillover jacuzzi, 12 Gulf Solar coils (leaking/currently bypassed), ancient Raypak propane heater (rusted/currently bypassed), Pentair 001018 VS pump, 4.9 sq ft Triton II sand filter, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The assembly will look similar to this
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hx1evyt780i2 ... .10.22.jpg
    Nathan

6. Back To Top    #6

so I don't want to extract the third piece (the once inside the wall) since it is in perfectly fine condition; I just want to replace the outer two pieces

7. Back To Top    #7

Then do as you suggested and buy the assembly and only use the outer cover and the eyeball. The pool store should have a few in stock take yours with you and test fit the threads to be sure it will work
    Nathan

8. Back To Top    #8

I brought my return into two local pool stores to check the size. They had three different models, but none fit my Inner Diameter (they were all larger than what I have). I checked the thread pitch at Home Depot and couldn't find a match in the plumbing section. 1 1/4" is too big, and 1" is too small. aybe 1 1/8"?

Searching on Amazon has not turned up any results. The listed size corresponds to the part that goes into the wall. What I care about is the outer ring diameter.

9. Back To Top    #9

If your only replaceing the outer piece your search might be a frustrating one im afraid. Have you looked to see if the new returns match the inner threads?(I know you didnt want to try and remove them)
    Nathan

10. Back To Top    #10

One of the returns that is missing the inner sleeve, which allows me to feel inside. It seems to be about 3/4" female thread. Is this about right for a new return? It seems like the whole assembly will stick out of the wall too far, since the body of the new assembly is larger than 3/4" diameter.

11. Back To Top    #11

The closest thing to your picture I found browsing is this one: http://sospoolsupplies.com/pool_spa_eco ... y/34/4566/

Not sure if it's the same or not.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by tcat
    The closest thing to your picture I found browsing is this one: http://sospoolsupplies.com/pool_spa_eco ... y/34/4566/

Not sure if it's the same or not.
    ooh! that looks similar. I can't tell where it is threaded...just sent them an email

13. Back To Top    #13

You might contact this place (that jet is down near the bottom), to confirm fit.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB