low filter pressure

I spoke with the previous pool owner and he said it was usually 16psi. Since I got it, it would be at 15 or just under after backwash. At the beginning of the season the gauge was replaces as it wasn't working.

Today, I looked and its down under 13psi.

I checked the usual suspects; closed returned, pluged filters, everything seems ok. The water level is a touch low but filling as we speak.

The issues I have are other forum posts here: pump won't fully prime and a leak on the underside of my filter.

Am I woried for nothing? Return pressure feels normal.

Sounds like over reaction. If you see no air in the pump then it is primed and running fine.

If the pressure drops more than expected, usual suspect is something clogging the impeller.

Lower than normal filter pressure is usually the result of a clogged suction line or a clogged impeller. But given the flow rate feels normal, it could just be that the original owner did not remember the correct clean filter pressure. But things to check just in case, clean all skimmer baskets and the pump basket and while you have the pump basket removed, check the impeller inlet at the bottom to see if there is any debris that got stuck in there.

You should only need to use your fingers. The hole is not that deep and if there is something in there, you should feel it with one of your fingers.

On Sunday I cleaned all filters again and checked (what I could) of the impeller and everything was clear. What I've noticed now is that in the morning the pressure is arount 15.5psi and in the evening its back down to 13.5 psi.

Played with valves and regardless of the combination of skimmer, vac and main I don't get a change in pressure.

Could it be the sand in the filter? I have a jandy st-t. I know how to remove the mpv but how do I remove the top to gain access to the sand?

Thanks Mas985. I'll take off the MPV and stick a garden hose down there and let it over flow over the top. If i recall there are two holes, when i opened it. How can i tell which is the 'stand pipe'? I can also try the rubber mallot, but i'm confident that will cause the body to develop new cracks (already one somewhere underneath).

I believe the stand pipe is in the middle labeled #6.

jandy_st-t_series_diagram.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.