borax for increasing pH question

May 15, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a question regarding adding borax to increase pH. I don't necessarily want to go through the process of getting my pool to a 50 ppm borate level, but I am thinking of using borax to increase pH. If I understand corectly borax will increase pH without significantly increasing TA, is that correct? I have noticed that my TA has risen to about 130 and was wondering why. I searched through some of the posts here and found that my "pH Up" powder (Nature's Way pH up - sodium carbonate) may be the culprit. I've seen a lot of posts about using borates but, at least the posts i've read, seem to mostly focus on bringing the pool up to the 50 ppm level. I wanted to know if I decide to add borax instead of pH up to increase pH will I need to somehow test for borate levels? This is my 3rd season with a pool and I notice the pH always seems to drop between testings. Ph up is the last of the chemicals from the pool store that I am currently using but will probably stop using that as well. My latest test results follow in case you need to know those to better answer this question:
FC -- 2.5
CC -- 0.5
TC -- 3.0
pH -- 7.2
TA -- 130
CH -- do not test as I seem to always have problems with this one
CYA -- 60 - 65

I should also note that I already added 13 oz. of the pH up and 14 oz. of 8% bleach the other day. I lent my test kit to a friend who was havng a problem with his pool and needed to get it ready for a pool party today. I haven't tested since Tuesday evening. I've been using the BBB method for about 1 1/2 months after using Trichlor pucks. I also added stabiizer last year so that is probably why my CYA level is high. I am considering draining the pool 1/3 per pool calculator. Thanks.

Thanks folks. I did add bleach the last time I tested and the number posted was prior to adding the bleach. Hopefully it raised that level and I will know when I get my test kit back later this afternoon. I also saw how you can use the calculator to see how much it will affect the levels. My question is, the next time the pH levels drop, as they always seem to do, do I need to begin testing for borates if I use Borax? Will I need to keep track of how much each addition will add and keep a running total? As far as aerating, if my TA is good but my pH is low, am I better off doing that as opposed to adding chemicals? I haven't tried that yet as it seems it will take a very long time. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.