Getting Water Right After Drain

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Let the draining begin!

Starting on my drain right now. I'm draining to get my CH back down from the 900 level it's been at. If I remember right, I've read a few opinions on this site about draining all the way vs draining partial. I'm curious to hear any more fresh thoughts on which way to go.

Re: Let the draining begin!

Do you know what your water table level is? Also, if you have had a lot of rain recently, I would be leery of doing a full drain & refill. It would be safer to do a drain until you are at about 50% and then drain while simultaneously refilling. The key is to maintain an equilibrium between draining and refilling so that the water stays close to the 50% level. This process would remove a good amount of the current water with the full drain up to the 50% mark while avoiding the risk of the pool floating. At the point where you have drained enough of the old water out, you can stop the draining and continue the refill process until you reach the desired fill level.

Hey guys, the water table is pretty low here in Phoenix. Also, if we had any rain lately it was very minimal. And the tap CH here is around 200. The first 3 years of this pool weren't monitored well so that perhaps why water got a little off with CH. Does that info change any thoughts of full drain vs partial like you guys were discussing?

I'm in the middle of a partial to full drain (I haven't decided) and I was curious about what to do afterwards to get chemistries back in line. Is it as simple as adding the standard chemicals based off poolcalculator recommendations?

If you do a full drain treat it as a fresh fill.
If you do a partial drain fill it back up and test to see where the levels are and adjust from there.

Does that seem logical ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

You just might be able to take that rascal down to just leaving a foot or so in the lower middle part then. But we need an expert to chime back in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
While getting acid, pool store guy said I should be doing an acid wash and possibly a chlorine wash while I have my pool drained. I haven't really taken advice from the pool store since I started following this website. Should I be considering those two options also?? He says the salt and (whatever else he said) is in the pebble and I need to clean it off.

I didn't really prepare today for an acid wash and don't have any research into it. I hate to waste all this water and money on a drain only to be missing some part of the process.... but I also don't want to be spending all this time and money on extra things if it's not needed (i.e. mask and boots). Is there any other info needed for you guys to help me out on this?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.