pool pump smells "burnt". Saw smoke.

Oct 7, 2010
People,

Once in a while, with a heavy downpour/storm, pool pump breaker trips in box. I simply trip it back, start pump, no problem. Did it for many years. Today, when starting pump, saw smoke, smelled burnt, while pump struggled to start- eventually ran after say, 2-3 seconds. backwashed, returned in 5 minutes, still smelled burnt- seemed like it could even be from impeller area, not so much the elec connection to the back of pump. I shut off pump, fearing damage. any idea what I could do to check things out?
Thaks

OK, just came back from there- turned onthe pump and put mu nose right on impeller top, smell there, also smell is in back of pump, appears. Smell everywhere. Does smell like a kind of plastic, now that I reflect on it more, having JUST stuck my nose on the equip,ment.

This may not be the area where you smelled it but do you have an extension cord on the pump? We had a 3' heavy duty one and it melted the plugin on the extension cord where the pool pump plugged in. If you dont have an extension cord unplug the pump cord and examine the plugin and socket.

The breaker is only super sensitive to ground faults (shorting to the frame / ground) If the short were between the windings or across a switch and did not draw enough amps to trip the breaker on overload (thermal or magnetic) then such a condition could last for a fairly long time (seconds, minutes, ...), but would eventually likely either melt through something, or burn itself out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.