Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I just did a full set of test on my fill water and here are the results

Fill Water Results

pH-8.2+(Very dark purple)
FC-.5
CC-1.5
TC-2
CH-25 (Used a 10 ml sample instead of 25. One drop caused it to go from red to blue)
TA-400
CYA-0

My pool is approx 13,000 gallons. I usually have to add 1-2 inches of water when I do. Based off of the results, how can I expect it to mess with the water already in the pool.

Say for example my pH level is 7.4 and I add 1-2 inches of water, would I see any change in my pH level after the water has been added?

If there is a change, is there a percentage of change I should see?

Thanks in advance

I don't think it would mess with it too much. How often do have to top off?

Take a test after and see what you come up with and adjust if you have to. What test kit do you use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I wouldn't expect to see pH change much, but the TA will!

Let's say, for easy math, that the pool's average depth is 50". And you've been diligent and the TA is 100.

So...((48*100) +(2*400))/50 = 112 TA. That's going to be noticeable on the test.

Given enough practice, you'll soon learn what topping off does to the results. I have similar fill water and for me, every inch I add works out to another cup of acid. Sometimes I just add it without testing straight into the hose stream as I top off. Then test and fine-tune it the next day. It's all about learning the pool's appetite. Test and Dose and pay attention.

pwrstrk said:
I don't think it would mess with it too much. How often do have to top off?

Take a test after and see what you come up with and adjust if you have to. What test kit do you use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Usually about once a week. I have never been worried about it, but was more curious was all.

I guess I add enough acid to keep TA under control. I never seem to have issues.

The only issues I seem to have, is a constant rise in pH levels. I think that has more to do with how my return jets are adjusted. As they ripple the water quiet a bit.

Your fill water is the exact opposite of mine. I have a pH of about 4.5 and TA of about 10. I'm always having to add Borax.
From what I understand, it is normal to have a rise in pH over time. I've never experienced it, but I know others have. How fast of a pH rise is it?

Yeah, I realize that was fill water. I thought you mentioned your pool's TA somewhere and it was high, but I see I might have been thinking of Richard's post. If I remember correctly, a higher TA tends to make pH rise quicker, so I don't think raising it would help. But one of the experts will tell you for sure.

mynewpool said:
JohnN said:
That sounds like a fast rise to me, but like I said I have no experience. I wonder if you could benefit from following the procedure to lower TA?

Right now my TA is at 60. I am going to raise it to 100. The results above or from my pool fill water not my actual water in the pool.
I wouldn't waste the money raising it. Your fill water will do it for you for free. Higher TA means pH rises faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
mynewpool said:
JohnN said:
That sounds like a fast rise to me, but like I said I have no experience. I wonder if you could benefit from following the procedure to lower TA?

Right now my TA is at 60. I am going to raise it to 100. The results above or from my pool fill water not my actual water in the pool.
I wouldn't waste the money raising it. Your fill water will do it for you for free. Higher TA means pH rises faster.

For some reason I never see an increase in TA when I add water. So I always have to manually raise it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.