Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: oval pools

1. Back To Top    #1

oval pools

thanks to this site, i was able to hard plumb and add a thru the wall skimmer to our 15 ft. round intex pool. 2 weeks after doing all that, the pool decided to start popping holes, fixed 1 at the wall/floor seam ( about 4 inches inches) then 3 more popped up. water drained out for 2nd time, giving up on this pool (its about 4 yrs old,first time for holes) we are thinking next should be oval. i am looking for thoughts and comments of a good oval agp.
    thanks
    ps- current pool has sand filter, SWG, skimmer all hooked with 1-1/2" pvc pipe that i would want to reuse.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: oval pools

Any particular reason for oval ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I know when I was looking into getting an AGP I considered an oval. Everybody including the sales person said if you have the room get a round pool. Also was told you get better circulation with a round. I know some people with ovals and if they had to do it over they would have went with a round.

So a round it was for me. I also think there is more "room" in a round pool.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't buy the better circulation theory. If your backyard is rectangularly shaped and an oval fits it better, go for it. I did!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

The reason I was told about the better circulation is because of the one skimmer and one return therefor better circulation with a round.

Could be wrong.

Jeff

6. Back To Top    #6

The oval shape is more difficult and expensive to manufacture (and remain oval when filled with water).

For the same cost, a round pool would be much bigger.

Also, for the same perimeter length, a round pool will hold more water than an oval.

But, an oval may fit better or look better in the available space.

Circulation depends on flow rate AND on inlet and outlet placement. In an elongated shape pool, water should be forced to move lengthwise by placing inlet and outlet at the opposite narrow sides.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.