LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2012
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
2nd Summer with my pool. Ever since install, I have operated things with all three of my return valves (Shallow Skimmer, Deep End Skimmer, and Main Drain) 100% open. Is this "Normal", or do people tend to try to "balance" for some optimum flow.

I'm asking because (to me) my Main Drains (I have two drains- for Safety- that operate from the same "T" plumbing line) seem like they could/should have more suction than they do. I get sentiment close to the floor drains that doesn't seem to "suck in" like I think it should.

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm an anal, pool- related Excel Spreadsheet wielding, mechanical engineer who just likes to know that "things are right". Thanks to this sight and BBB, my pool looks great and has truly been "Trouble Free" so far. [attachment=0:mzyw74hj]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373730733.492612.jpg[/attachment:mzyw74hj]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373730733.492612.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373730733.492612.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 87
If you have dual drains and the proper anti-entrapment covers, you won't feel any suction. The main drains really don't do a lot except improve circulation and keep the water from getting temperature stratification. Even when I brush debris -light stuff, like flower petals - at my drain, it has to hit one of the openings straight on to get sucked in. Half an inch away is too far.

Since you're an engineer...save some empty soda or water bottles and fill them with colored water until you get zero buoyancy. Then push them down in the pool and observe your water flow patterns. That ought to keep you busy for the rest of the summer, tweaking the eyeballs for perfect circulation. :lol:

Thanks- sounds like "all is normal." And, yes- playing with things to better understand my pool's actual flow sound like an intriguing way to spend some future Saturday. (Needs to be cloudier/cooler, though- no way I'm getting the wife & kids out of the water today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

IMHO, optimum flow is maximum flow which is accomplished with all the valves open. In most cases with all the ports at 100%, the skimmers will tend have a little more flow rate than the main drains which is a good thing because as Richard points out, the main drain has limited effectiveness.

But, if you are interested in spreadsheets, I have a few that you can play with (see signature). :wink:

I have a similar pool with a 2-speed pump. On low, I run with the main drain throttled down to 50% to get better skimming action while still fighting stratification and improving overall circulation.

Even on high and 100% from the mains, they won't suck from the floor around them. That's normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.