May 31, 2013
New Jersey
Our pH tended to be on the lower side in the beginning of the season, but it has been creeping up.

(What is causing it to creep up? We've really only been swimming a few times - have had lots of rain though, so I guess that could be it, the aeration.)

pH - 7.7
TA - 80/90
FC: 5
CYA: 40

If it were your pool, would you do anything regarding the pH on the higher side of normal and the TA on the lower side? If I raise the total alkalinity, it would raise my pH, right? That's not what I would want to do. Or would you leave it be for now? I'll probably have to lower the pH at some point, I'm thinking.

Pool is crystal clear and want to make sure it stays that way :-D .

I don't let my pH bounce between 7.2 and 7.8 if I can help it. If it's going up, I lower it. Even if it's just a small adjustment. I've got the results right in front of me, it's another thirty seconds to toss a cup of acid in. I figure it buys some breathing room. If I get lazy about testing, I still know it's not too far out of whack.

Okay, since I used dry acid, it did bring my TA down a bit to about 70, with my pH now at 7.5. (I may need to recalculate the size of my pool because my pH decreased slightly more than I anticipated, as did the TA obviously)

Is my TA still okay, or should I make adjustments to that now as well with some baking soda? I was just going to leave it be and keep my eye on it for a while to see what happens but wanted to ask you guys here.

I feel like I had read on here or somewhere that if your pool is happy, let your TA be (unless it's really high or low I would assume). Is this correct?

Re: pH and TA for those who use dry acid

Okay guys...I'm back with a similar situation. (This may be the ongoing situation for the rest of the season I feel.)

This is for those who use dry acid vs. MA when lowering pH:

I used some dry acid when I posted last, which brought my TA down from 80 to 70. My pH was looking good at 7.5.

Now, my pH is creeping up again (about 7.6/7.7, never can tell) (lots of swimming now), and I know I'll be finding myself adding some acid soon. However, with my TA of now 70, what do you guys who use dry acid do? I really don't want the TA to get much lower. I don't want to use MA. It's me primarily taking care of the pool since my husband's work schedule is crazy. If he was taking care of it, yeah, I may have him use it, but I'm def not :)

So, with my pH of say 7.7, TA of 70, what are my options (aside from using MA)?

FC: 4
pH: 7.6/7.7
TA: 70
CYA: 40

Should I start raising the TA a little first, while pH is still looking okay, and then shoot for the pH after the TA looks better?

I think you are a little confused. Acid lowers pH and TA. Doesn't matter the source, liquid or dry, it lowers TA. So if your pH is rising just add acid, doesn't really matter which. The biggest difference between muriatic acid and dry acid is price. You get way more from a gallon of MA than from a bottle of dry acid, but they both lower TA and pH.

I personally don't worry too much about TA, if it drops a bit more from there I don't think it will have any real negative effects.

Donldson said:
I think you are a little confused. Acid lowers pH and TA. Doesn't matter the source, liquid or dry, it lowers TA. So if your pH is rising just add acid, doesn't really matter which. The biggest difference between muriatic acid and dry acid is price. You get way more from a gallon of MA than from a bottle of dry acid, but they both lower TA and pH.

I personally don't worry too much about TA, if it drops a bit more from there I don't think it will have any real negative effects.

Oh, I'm so sorry for the confusion! I feel like an idiot right now :oops:

Thank you for the reassurance regarding the TA. BTW, for a chlorine pool, regarding TA, what range would you say would be cause for concern and requires a necessary adjustment? I know all pools are different but just wondering so I have an idea when I should really look out for it. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First, don't feel like an idiot. You don't know what you don't know, but now you know what you know :goodjob:

I really don't know what level I would worry about TA, I have never had it drop to any extreme and I haven't added baking soda or washing soda in years. I would say add the acid to keep your pH in check and see what happens to the TA. If you start getting some wild pH swings or someone else comments with more experience in this area then you can make some changes from there if you need to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.