1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy 2 Weeks Separated from Bloom

pH - 7.6
    FC - 4
    CH - 50
    TA - 110
    CC - 0
    CYA -40

Got rid of algea bloom about 2 weeks ago with your help!! Thanks. Ran the pump 24/7 after those two weeks; it now runs 12 hours a day. I have done the OCLT and found there to be no change. The cloudiness does not seem to be going away. I know the talk of store chemicals should be banished and only used by those who desire or have been unwittingly fooled into thinking there is no other option. but should I use a clarifier. I have not tried the DE add trick.

I do have a bottle of Pool First Aid by Natural Chemistry laying around.

I just want my cloud to go away!!!

Give me a hand with my circa '76 pool!

Thanks in advance
    26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.
    Pool Math #__# Pool School #__# Best Android App "Pool Pal" Track Your Levels!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cloudy 2 Weeks Separated from Bloom

Got a pic? That's often VERY helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you backwashed? Run your pump 24/7 for a couple of days. More people will be in along with more suggestions I'm sure.

GC
    Edit:. Just noticed that you did run 24/7. Sorry.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

DE can be helpful, a natural enzyme to break down suntan oils and lotions can be, keeping your FC a bit higher than normal is most likely the best option.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I think I would have lost patience about ten days ago.

If you have a friend or neighbor with a DE filter, beg a few cups of DE from them and give that a shot. I, personally, wouldn't buy a huge bag of the stuff just for the small amount you'll need.

If you have clarifier, try the search function using its name, and see what reports there might be. Google it for reviews. Then decide if it's worth the gamble. You've already got it... And keep us informed. Good or bad results, it doesn't matter; it adds to the collective knowledge base here.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe this link will work. I'm not sure it will show the cloudiness of the water I need to use my camera enclosure for that I rekon!
    26k IG Vinyl, 2 HP single speed,24" Tagelus Sand, 1.5" pipe, 1 Main, 1 Skimmer, 2 jets, pool built 1983, new vinyl 2014, 36'x18', Deep End 8', The PoolCleaner 4X Suction.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Link didn't work. Keep trying to get a pic up, if you can.

There are two parts to having crystal water....

1. Chemistry - you seem to have that covered and understood pretty well so I don't see that as an issue.

2. Filtration - The first thing I see is only one skimmer. That's a pretty big pool just for one skimmer so that's sort of a bottleneck.

What size is your sand filter? When do you backwash it? Have you popped it open to look at the sand bed in the last couple of years?
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mh491nmn9...2016.24.41.jpg Nice color, but what happened to her legs?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Link didn't work. Keep trying to get a pic up, if you can.

There are two parts to having crystal water....

1. Chemistry - you seem to have that covered and understood pretty well so I don't see that as an issue.

2. Filtration - The first thing I see is only one skimmer. That's a pretty big pool just for one skimmer so that's sort of a bottleneck.

What size is your sand filter? When do you backwash it? Have you popped it open to look at the sand bed in the last couple of years?
    My filter is so old I have no idea I have a picture of it. There are no union fittings to easily pull off the Multiport.

I am totally cool with changing the filter sand, I had contemplatinted/researched that on this forum and on the GOOGLE, but decided against it since so many people said that 'you'll know when to replace the sand when the seals and gaskets on the multiport go bad!'

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5h24x0s7h6jzr ... .30.10.jpg

Maybe you guys know how much sand I need.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Changing the sand is almost surely not needed. However, inspecting/cleaning the sand bed is a good idea annually.

At some point, I think you should consider cutting the filter loose so you can open it up and look around. It'll be pretty obvious if anything is amiss.

Clean the sand thoroughly by scooping up the debris on top of the bed and then stick a running garden hose down in it and clean (rinse) the sand bed by stirring it up and allowing the overflow to carry away all the debris.

If necessary fill the filter so the sand is at the 2/3 level and you'll be all set.

When you reinstall, use unions so you can simply unscrew it next year and perform the cleaning/inspection once again.
    Dave S.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm about to be on vacation so I must do that soon. Since I'll be off work and have some free time

12. Back To Top    #12

just an update, if you were following:

The water cleared up just days after this post with no intervention by me.

I installed the unions so I could remove the multiport valve only to discover that my multiport has screws on top of it to gain access to the sand(I assume.) Oh well at least I have those on there now!

After some thinking I believe left over 'pool-stored days' led to cloudy water.
    I've been adding Phos-Free Plus and PolyQuat together to my skimmer once a week. I have since discontinued the use of this chemical combonation for now.

My water was clear yesterday before I added the PolyQuat just to see if my water gets murky again. Will keep you updated!