CYA test results

May 25, 2010
Fairfax Station, VA
I have TFTtestkits.net CYA view tube test kit. I consistently get around value of 65 (I have an SWG). The R-0013 reagent is fresh. I brought the water to Leslies and the value was 100 on the slide test they use. I looked at the sample myself and was in agreement with their reading. Why is there such a large discrepancy between the results? Which is more reliable?

mrhappye said:
I have TFTtestkits.net CYA view tube test kit. I consistently get around value of 65 (I have an SWG). The R-0013 reagent is fresh. I brought the water to Leslies and the value was 100 on the slide test they use. I looked at the sample myself and was in agreement with their reading. Why is there such a large discrepancy between the results? Which is more reliable?
Indoor versus outdoor light would be my guess. The dimmer the light, the sooner the dot disappears, the higher the reading.

Since the TF100 comes with a generous supply of R-0013, try the test again. Then carry it inside and try it under different lighting. You've got the Junior Scientist Play Set, so experiment! :-D

We assume you bought the test kit TFP recommends for a reason. Trust your own testing when performed as prescribed. Reasons: Testing performed mostly by teens........test performed inside rather than daylight........testing equipment not cleaned properly or calibrated enough or properly.

The test should be read in strong sunlight, not under fluorescent lights. This is one of the reasons I think pool stores often get CYA readings that are way off. If your pool has been responding to chemical adjustments predictably with your test results then that is the testing you should trust. How does your water look?

Has your SWG been keeping up like you expect? Did you watch them do the entire test, or just the reading?

I would go home and do the test again myself just to be cautious, but if everything else is working the way it should and your tested at home as you expected. I suspect theirs wasn't correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.