Borates

hurt5150

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2013
Missouri
I have a new pool, new water, new everything and I was lucky enough to find this site before I ever went into the pool store. The question of the day is about borates. I was going to add borates, read the article (that I cannot find this am) on here titled "so you want to add borates...". I have been lowering my TA (which takes a long time) and then read a few days ago another thread on borates where the poster mentioned having high TA in fill water and since then I have been having some serious second thoughts since my water here started out so high (250+). I am worried I will have a devil of a time keeping my pH in check if I add borates due to little fills over the summer and partial drains for winterizing. Are my worries accurate or am I just over obsessing on this?

....bless me Father for I have sinned....one of my main reasons for borates was to have the sparkly-est pool in the neighborhood. I am the only one not attached to pool store chemicals.... :angel:

I have always felt like borates is something to consider after you have learned your pool for a few months. There is certainly no rush to add them and you may decide you don't need them at all.

I do not use borates. My pH is pretty stable (add some muriatic about 2-3 times each season) and my water is crystal, crystal clear when I provide adequate chlorine and filtration. (hey, that sounds like an opportunity to post a pic! Yes, that a small leaf floating and you can see it's shadow right beside the robot)[attachment=0:29m3oqao]clearpoolauto1.JPG[/attachment:29m3oqao] After all that, many others report very noticeable improvement to their overall water quality when they do use borates.

Attachments

• clearpoolauto1.JPG
    clearpoolauto1.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 44
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.