Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates

I have a new pool, new water, new everything and I was lucky enough to find this site before I ever went into the pool store. The question of the day is about borates. I was going to add borates, read the article (that I cannot find this am) on here titled "so you want to add borates...". I have been lowering my TA (which takes a long time) and then read a few days ago another thread on borates where the poster mentioned having high TA in fill water and since then I have been having some serious second thoughts since my water here started out so high (250+). I am worried I will have a devil of a time keeping my pH in check if I add borates due to little fills over the summer and partial drains for winterizing. Are my worries accurate or am I just over obsessing on this?

....bless me Father for I have sinned....one of my main reasons for borates was to have the sparkly-est pool in the neighborhood. I am the only one not attached to pool store chemicals....
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Borates

I have always felt like borates is something to consider after you have learned your pool for a few months. There is certainly no rush to add them and you may decide you don't need them at all.

I do not use borates. My pH is pretty stable (add some muriatic about 2-3 times each season) and my water is crystal, crystal clear when I provide adequate chlorine and filtration. (hey, that sounds like an opportunity to post a pic! Yes, that a small leaf floating and you can see it's shadow right beside the robot)[attachment=0:29m3oqao]clearpoolauto1.JPG[/attachment:29m3oqao] After all that, many others report very noticeable improvement to their overall water quality when they do use borates.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School