Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Keeping gunite wet

1. Back To Top    #1

Keeping gunite wet

Hello - we live in the dallas area. Wicked hot and dry lately. Had gunfire applied yesterday. A neighbor said we should wet the gunite with a hose twice a day. Pool builder did not mention anything. I called him and he said to wet it at least once a day. Well I hit it last night and this morning. Water soaks in real quick. I just can't see beating Mother Nature. How critical is this step. Should I be hitting it more with this heat? At least over the weekend?

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Keeping gunite wet

Twice a day is pretty normal for wetting the gunite. I'd get a sprinkler and run it a couple times a day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Keeping gunfire wet

Are you getting us mixed up with a firearms forum or has Siri been in the vodka this AM?

To answer, I don't think you can overwet that gunite. You can certainly do too little but unlikely you can do too much.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

quote="duraleigh"]Are you getting us mixed up with a firearms forum or has Siri been in the vodka this AM?

Good one !!

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the info. How long is the wetting process?
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

6. Back To Top    #6

Good news.............70% chance of rain Sunday! WAIT..that's a pool day!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't believe it. They like to tease us. My lawn is browning with the watering restrictions.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't seem to have that problem
    High water table
    23.6x14 IG free form ~8K gallon, Pentair VS 3050 Intelliflo, GloBrite LED lighting w/IntelliBrite controller, Aztec Cobalt water tile. CLI Carolina Blue pebble finish, Bronze pool cage, 336 sqft Heliocol solar heating. Build Thread and landscaping Solar heating install

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974
    Thank you for the info. How long is the wetting process?
    My PB in Austin said twice a day for 7 - 10 days
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

10. Back To Top    #10

What is worrisome is the fact that your pool builder failed to mention it. Keep an eye on him.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

11. Back To Top    #11

We were told 2 things:

1. it is VERY important that you water it thoroughly 2 or 3 times a day
    2. you can't overdo it: get everything wet and try to get all gunite surfaces the same darker color before you quit

We live in the Dallas area and went through this about 10 days ago and it took me an hour to wet down the gunite each time.
    19' x 37' Freeform IG; 25,500 gallons; max depth 8'6" with diving board; sun bench and swim out shelf. PebbleSheen Blue Granite Finish; Noble Tile--NVSA616 Peacock; Sandstone Retaining Wall; Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Aggregate Deck; Small Water Feature w/ Moss Rock (70% flats and 30% boulders) Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump and CV460 Filter; AquaCal SQ156 Heat Pump/Chiller; Polaris 380 pressure cleaner w/ Halcyon boost pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by aiannar974
    Hello - we live in the dallas area. Wicked hot and dry lately. Had gunfire applied yesterday. A neighbor said we should wet the gunite with a hose twice a day. Pool builder did not mention anything. I called him and he said to wet it at least once a day. Well I hit it last night and this morning. Water soaks in real quick. I just can't see beating Mother Nature. How critical is this step. Should I be hitting it more with this heat? At least over the weekend?

Anthony

Don't feel bad. We had shotcrete done a couple of weeks ago and they didn't mention anything about the wetting process with that. Glad I have this place to know how things are supposed to be done.
    Anthony 16,000 Gallon Oval, White plaster, 30' Long 15' Wide 5 1/2' Deep end 3 1/2' shallow end.
    Pentair Intelliflo, FNS Plus 60sf. DE, Pentair Intellibrite 5G
    TF100 Testkit

13. Back To Top    #13

While I'm not at that stage yet (very jealous of you) here's what my pool builder put in the construction guide they gave me. We are in the Dallas area also.

The pool structure will cure stronger and last longer if you wet it and keep it moist. Start the morning after gunite and continue two or three times a day for seven days. During very hot weather, more wetting is desired. However, in winter if temperature drops to 40 degrees or lower DO NOT WATER.
    THIS PROCESS IS KNOWN AS CURING AND IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT

The sprinkler in the pool sounds like a good idea. I was going to just walk around the pool for an hour with a hose and a beer.
    Inground Gunite, plaster surface. 28,000 gallons, modified L shape with diving area and play area, attached spa, all pentair equipment, SWG, variable speed, DE Filter, Nature 2 Express. Taylor 2006 test kit.
    Why should you become a Lifetime Supporter of TFP? Because the first time you have a problem and you get the solution at TFP you will recoup your cost many times over.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Campbell
    The sprinkler in the pool sounds like a good idea. I was going to just walk around the pool for an hour with a hose and a case of beer.
    I've corrected your statement for you!
    This was my plan too, have a couple of beers and cook out on the grill.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

15. Back To Top    #15

Gonna gunite soon and PB said to start watering 5 days after for a total of 5 days.

Any reason why start after 5 days and then once started is five days enough?

Also, anyone know of any problems with doing gunite in hot temperatures? probably 90 degrees and then that afternoon 100?

Thanks

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jacklie View Post
    Gonna gunite soon and PB said to start watering 5 days after for a total of 5 days.

Any reason why start after 5 days and then once started is five days enough?

Also, anyone know of any problems with doing gunite in hot temperatures? probably 90 degrees and then that afternoon 100?

Thanks
    Ask the gunite crew what they recommend. I live near Denton and just had gunite last week. With how hot it is the foreman said to start watering that same day....in fact 4 hours after they left.

Build in progress: 31x18 GI (17,336 gallons) / Diamond Brite French Gray finish / Flagstone Coping / 30ft weeping wall with 7 stations plumbed / Salt Finish Deck / Pentair EasyTouch Controls / Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump / Pentair D.E. Filter 60sft / Polaris Automatic Pool Sweep w/ Booster Pump.

17. Back To Top    #17

Watering should start the same day.. not 5 days after! Here, in PHX, I had to start watering 1 hour after the crew left!
    Did it for 7 days, straight.
    2015 build (link)| 16.5 K gal | Salt Water | IG rect | 35'x16' | 568 sf | 105 ft peri | depth 3'-5' | PV3 in-floor | 2 Venturi skimmers | MDX+SDX drains | T-CELL-15 SWG | Hayward Ecostar VS pump | Hayward 7220 DE Filter | Aqua Cal Icebreaker Heat / Cool pump SQ166 | Hayward Sense & Dispense PH Controller| Omnilogic | Pebble Sheen Blue Surf | Ultra UV | Stenner acid pump | Coverstar Automatic | TF-100

18. Back To Top    #18

Here is what I was always told for watering the gunite.
    "Watering cools the temperature of the gunite and allows for a
    slower curing process, insuring maximum finished psi strength."
    A reputable gunite company will warranty the work either way and are usually answering to the PB. My PB said water it a few days if its hot to slow down the process, but it wasn't necessary past that. My warranty is through my PB, so I do what he says.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas