Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found odor source: cracks

1. Back To Top    #1

Found odor source: cracks

Hi...we moved to our new home 4 months ago. It happened to come with a pool and spa, a definite plus in our eyes! Well, over time(not sure how old the pool is) it looks like there are settling cracks in the deck and in some of the tile. (I'm in so cal, so no real cold weather, just occasional overnight freezing temps).

We had been smelling this odor when in the jacuzzi that we finally found the course of tonight. Cracks in sealant (looks like sanded caulk) between coping and decking (concrete). Some small cracks in tile alsomhace this odor, I'm guessing moldy gunk. (Yes, I went around and smelled lots of things)

What is the best thing to do? Dig out the caulk, bleach, and recaulk? If so, what kind of caulk?
    Should I dilute the bleach?

How should I repair tile cracks?

Thanks friends.
    New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Found odor source: cracks

Try the bleach first. Probably 2:1 water/bleach is plenty strong. Spray bottle into the cracks with two applications maybe a day or so apart. If the smell goes away, then it'll be time to seal the cracks. Show us a pic so we can see how big they are and suggest a product to seal them.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School