Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: NEW BBB with questions

1. Back To Top    #1

NEW BBB with questions

Hello,
    I have an 18x33x4 above ground pool. I've been using a frogger for the past 6 years and everything has been fine until last year. My levels started getting out of wack and the water is eating up my solar cover and anything plastic. I spent a fortune with PH up last year and the pool store told me to just keep adding it. I gave up on that whole thing when I found this site and the BBB method. Here are my reading as of tonight:

TA=45
    PH=6.8
    CL= 5-6 I have an HTH test kit and the CL test also has the Bromine test. I know I need to get a better test kit but can't afford it right now.
    BR=10
    CY=45

I started putting in Borax per the pool calculator to raise the PH but the reading hasn't moved. Should I have added the baking soda first to adjust the TA and then use the Borax?

My liner is slightly stained. can I get rid of this once I get all of the numbers in line with some type of stain remover?
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: NEW BBB with questions

What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, markk

By "frogger" do you mean poolfrog? If yes then, the stains may be copper since the poolfrog adds copper to the water.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would take care of the PH first with borax. It will also raise the TA. If the TA needs to come up some more then you can adjust that.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, markk

By "frogger" do you mean poolfrog? If yes then, the stains may be copper since the poolfrog adds copper to the water.

Yes, Pool Frog, sorry.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    I would take care of the PH first with borax. It will also raise the TA. If the TA needs to come up some more then you can adjust that.
    Very good point pwrstk!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

My water looks good, crystal clear. Burns the eyes though.

8. Back To Top    #8

How did you test to provide those results?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

9. Back To Top    #9

I tried raising the ph with the recommended Borax but it hasn't gone up. How long does it take?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by markk
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh

My water looks good, crystal clear. Burns the eyes though.

That's from the PH being low I suspect.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    How did you test to provide those results?
    I have an hth tester from Walmart. It is the six part tester with the drops.

12. Back To Top    #12

That test will indicate 6.8 even when it is below. Use poolcalculator.com to calculate a dose of Borax to go from 6.8 to 7.4 ph, add it to the pool (leave pump running) and retest in an hour and repeat as many times as necessary to get the ph into a readable range.

13. Back To Top    #13

It should take 30 to 60 min. Are you running the pump ?

Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Back to your original post and since your water is clear, you simply did not put enough Borax into your pool to get the pH and TA up where they belong. You can calculate the dosage using poolcalculator.com. Your target should be about 7.4 or so. Dose again what poolcalc suggest and then test an hour later. If pH is still too low, dose again.

Address the stains after you get the pH where it needs to be and your pool is balanced.....we'll help with that, too. Please keep the stain issue within this same thread....that'll be helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks everyone. I will keep going with the borax until I hit 7.4 on the PH and then go from there.

16. Back To Top    #16

By the time you get there your TA might be ok.

The pool calc at the bottom affects of adding chem's will tell you how much x amount of borax will raise your TA.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Jeff

17. Back To Top    #17

I added Borax per the pool calculator and the PH is up to 7.2. The water looks great, now I need to add 28 more ounces and then I will re-test in a few hours. After that I will adjust the alkalinity with baking soda.
    My chlorine level is still at max on the testing scale. Do I just let it come down on its own and then start back with the bleach using the pool calculator? I'm removing the Pool Frog today.

Thanks for the help, I finally feel like I have this pool under control.

18. Back To Top    #18

Sure, in an outdoor pool the FC level will fall on its own.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School