Crack in cement pool

ian81

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2012
Jenison, MI
Pool Size
So I just noticed this crack in my pool wall. I've known about the one on the white boarder but didn't really think Anything of it. Well now as you can see the crack is in the actual pool wall and I put goggles on and te crack gets thinner and thinner but goes to almost the bottom (shallow end).
there is about 5 other cracks in the white boarder along the same side of the pool, but no more on the wall. The crack on the wall looks as though there are little holes in it. I haven't noticed Any leaks. Any idea on what I am getting into here? thousAnds vs hundreds? The pool was built in late 70s and has been well mAintained throughout the years up until maybe 8 years ago

[attachment=2:wm6ueb06]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680704.431531.jpg[/attachment:wm6ueb06][attachment=1:wm6ueb06]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680722.081393.jpg[/attachment:wm6ueb06][attachment=0:wm6ueb06]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680736.414914.jpg[/attachment:wm6ueb06]

Any thoughts welcomed!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680704.431531.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680704.431531.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 253
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680722.081393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680722.081393.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 227
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680736.414914.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373680736.414914.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 227
Well, if you are not losing much water, I might be tempted to drain it down and simply repair with an epoxy filler. You will never hide it completely anyway (if you cut it out and repair with concrete) so the epoxy might give you some more good years.

Hmm. That doesn't sound too great! A good couple years? Never hide it? Then what? ....Argh!
The pool could use a repainting this fall as paint is starting to chip..but that's a whole 'nother topic as I've been reading about floating the pool?

It's my first couple years with a pool and am not real sure how serious this is. Should I be fixing instantly? It's going to be 90s this week and I'm on vacation :(

Thanks!

We don't usually recommend that anyone use pool paint as it is expensive and usually only lasts for a year. Even then, it still won't hide that crack. If you are worried about aesthetics, having it professionally repaired (this involves new plaster) is the way to go.

Ian81,
On our painted pool, we used Pool Putty by EpoxyBond, a 2-part epoxy compound that you can apply underwater. It does create a little chalky cloudiness in the water that filters out, but it will seal the crack(s) for some time (in our case several years).
Do be sure to brush/scrape the algae from the crack(s) before applying the putty.
I don't remember where we purchased it, but likely in a Pool Store.

alanpaul said:
Ian81,
On our painted pool, we used Pool Putty by EpoxyBond, a 2-part epoxy compound that you can apply underwater. It does create a little chalky cloudiness in the water that filters out, but it will seal the crack(s) for some time (in our case several years).
Do be sure to brush/scrape the algae from the crack(s) before applying the putty.

I got stuff like this at the pool store. It was a two part that you would cut and mix by rolling together. Once evenly colored, you would just press and spread over the crack. Seem to work for me as well.

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-an ... 26281.html

Received in PM from alanpaul:

As regards your comment about cracks and painted pools:
Please note that while many of us know that it is not an excellent surface, some of us have inherited or purchased homes with a painted pool.

Our own 25-year-old pool was most recently painted by the previous owner about 8 to 10 years ago. Only now is it looking like it needs refurbishing. Keeping the chemistry correct seems to extend the life of the painted surface, at least it has in our pool. And it must be maintained with TLC.

It is interesting to note that our neighbor had to re-plaster his well-maintained pool after 10 years. So he and I are just about in the same boat, in terms of time. Of course, I can't know the quality of his original pool surface, other than it seemed smooth and solid.

So, I'm curious. Have you had a bad experience with a painted pool, personally, or are you just repeating what you have heard before?
And if you did have a bad experience, kindly let me know what it was, so I can learn something from what you went through.

It is definitely correct that maintaining proper chemistry levels with prolong the life of the surface of any pool, my experience is limited to several hundred different instances of pool painting woes as seen here on TFP. I would say that your pool is definitely an exception to the rule. It still stands though, based upon the evidence here, that painted pool surfaces are substandard when compared to plaster when viewed from a cost vs. benefit vs. longevity standpoint.

One is always welcome to paint their pool using pool paint. However, our job here at TFP, what we really strive to do, is send the pool operator in a direction that makes operational sense and financial sense. Painting a pool typically doesn't satisfy either category.

alanpaul said:
Ian81,

Hmm, this sounds like it might do the trick for a while! Thanks for this!

It is definitely correct that maintaining proper chemistry levels with prolong the life of the surface of any pool, my experience is limited to several hundred different instances of pool painting woes as seen here on TFP. I would say that your pool is definitely an exception to the rule. It still stands though, based upon the evidence here, that painted pool surfaces are substandard when compared to plaster when viewed from a cost vs. benefit vs. longevity standpoint.

One is always welcome to paint their pool using pool paint. However, our job here at TFP, what we really strive to do, is send the pool operator in a direction that makes operational sense and financial sense. Painting a pool typically doesn't satisfy either category.

Oh for sure, I definitely want to do the right thing. I most certainly didn't plan on just 'covering' the cracks with paint if that's what you meant. I guess I am a little confused - My pool is concrete - there is plaster on top of that? Or is it just paint on cement? :oops: Sorry for the rookie questions

Well I have bought the ab epoxy! hope that lasts while I start saving my pennies! Heres a pic if the beauty! It's never looked as good as this! [attachment=0:3g9gq8lq]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373761483.236581.jpg[/attachment:3g9gq8lq]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373761483.236581.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373761483.236581.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 154

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool cracks, or any cracks in structural concrete, are the result of movement. Cracks that are wider at the top than the bottom indicate that the top of the pool in that area has experienced tension that is greater than it was designed to handle. What area are the cracks in? What are the surrounding ground conditions and elevations? Does the water in the pool seem to be the same distance from the top everywhere?

The reason I ask is that I'm in the specialty geotechnical contracting field, meaning I work with soil problems and settling structures. We have dealt with many settling pools and I have seen just about every type of repair attempted. If the pool is fairly stable then that epoxy should last as long as the pool. It is likely stronger than the concrete. The problem is that the concrete can't handle tension so it keeps cracking if there is continued movement. I would make a note of where the water level is relative to the top of the walls at several places around the pool and check it over time to confirm that there is no movement. If there is movement, you likely have an issue with the soil beneath the pool that needs to be addressed.

IAN81,
I'm glad you tried the putty, and I hope it gives you several years of service. We have 2 cracks which we've re-puttied every 3 years or so.

I think perhaps we need to start a Painted-Pool-Partnership here on TPF, to assist each other in maintaining the surfaces of our painted pools, since it seems that we have particular challenges and we are sub-standard pool owners! :whip:

What do you think?
:cheers:

diyindux said:
Pool cracks, or any cracks in structural concrete, are the result of movement. Cracks that are wider at the top than the bottom indicate that the top of the pool in that area has experienced tension that is greater than it was designed to handle. What area are the cracks in? What are the surrounding ground conditions and elevations? Does the water in the pool seem to be the same distance from the top everywhere?

The reason I ask is that I'm in the specialty geotechnical contracting field, meaning I work with soil problems and settling structures. We have dealt with many settling pools and I have seen just about every type of repair attempted. If the pool is fairly stable then that epoxy should last as long as the pool. It is likely stronger than the concrete. The problem is that the concrete can't handle tension so it keeps cracking if there is continued movement. I would make a note of where the water level is relative to the top of the walls at several places around the pool and check it over time to confirm that there is no movement. If there is movement, you likely have an issue with the soil beneath the pool that needs to be addressed.

Well there is a larger gap between the pool and the surrounding cement on the side where the crack(s) are as opposed to the side where there is no cracks, although the concrete has settled in a few places, causing trip hazards (one cement pad being higher then the other) - I will post a couple of pictures!

We're a big fan of creating wave pools (jumping up and down with a floaty to create a really choppy pool and then jumping in).. that might be the tension issue? :hammer:

Also I did think the pool was lower in one corner, but they are narrower tiles used there and it could be playing an illusion, I will also double check this!

alanpaul said:
IAN81,
I'm glad you tried the putty, and I hope it gives you several years of service. We have 2 cracks which we've re-puttied every 3 years or so.

I think perhaps we need to start a Painted-Pool-Partnership here on TPF, to assist each other in maintaining the surfaces of our painted pools, since it seems that we have particular challenges and we are sub-standard pool owners! :whip:

What do you think?

Well I bought it but have not put it in yet - going to today once the direct sun gets off the pool.
In all honesty I bought this house from my grandmother who had the pool built in the late 70s. I am still learning the difference in pool surfaces and didn't really know cement wasnt the greatest.. I've read countless threads about fiberglass cracks so thought I had a higher quality. :roll:
I'm not a big saver but from the sounds of things the paint and epoxy would only be temp fixes, but that would get me buy until I could afford a resurface..
I checked a few youtube videos and a couple of sites and it looks like $3500-$4500 to resurface (with plaster) a pool of my size, if someone was hired that is?

I guess the main thing I am still wondering (besides possible ground issues) is if there plaster in my pool or not..
Like, is it paint on top of plaster on top of cement? or just paint on cement? Pool paint 'acts' as an epoxy?

I suppose you'd need a professional to tell you if it's paint over concrete, or paint over plaster.

[For better or worse, I'm told the better pool paints (and I understand that's an oxymoron) are epoxy compounds.]

As to the surface, I've seen pools where the plaster seems to delaminate in spots and you can see the bare dark gray concrete, and I've seen pools like my own, where the paint wears away and it looks like the same bare concrete underneath, too.

I'll say my concrete, at age 25, seems light gray in color and is generally smooth, except where there have been poorly applied obvious rough patches of concrete.

So, I'm :hammer: no help to you!! I hope someone with more pool construction knowledge can tell us.

ian81 said:
Well there is a larger gap between the pool and the surrounding cement on the side where the crack(s) are as opposed to the side where there is no cracks, although the concrete has settled in a few places, causing trip hazards (one cement pad being higher then the other) - I will post a couple of pictures!

We're a big fan of creating wave pools (jumping up and down with a floaty to create a really choppy pool and then jumping in).. that might be the tension issue? :hammer:

Also I did think the pool was lower in one corner, but they are narrower tiles used there and it could be playing an illusion, I will also double check this!

Jumping up and down in the water creates very little change in stress at the pool base. Also, most likely the force that is compressing the underlying soil is the soil adjacent to the pool more than the water in the pool. Soil weighs around 115 lbs./cf while water weighs 62.4 lbs./cf. It is not uncommon for fill to be placed for a corner of a pool if the site isn't level. Using the soil on site sure beats hauling it away. Most pool builders aren't as careful with their fill selection and placement as they should be. The gaps you are describing sound like that could be the case. However, given that your cracks aren't very big and you aren't refilling the pool every day, just patch it and enjoy it. Treating the underlying soil will likely require compaction grouting which typically runs, at least in our area, in the $10k to $20k range. Supporting a full pool can run $60k+. That will buy a whole bunch of epoxy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.