New intex swg with ozone

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Split from this thread due to my derailment of that thread.

yister said:
There's the new intex swg/ozone unit as well. I was looking into some UV unit, but came across the intex unit. Just at the same time my old swg unit started leaking at a seam. I just wanted some extra protection besides clorine for the pool/kids. It injects air thru a venturi, so you get aeriation as well.
Do you have this new swg yet?

Re: Ionizer for 24' AGP

Yes I do, I've been running it for aweek or so. My cya level was insuffient, so the performance is still being observed. I had to add bleach 2 days ago and this morning the fc level was good. So, I'm guessing it's working properly now. I preffer this design from my old one as it had a glued joint where the plate was. This one is I guess the same plumming as the swg units sold now with only threaded joints. The water's been crystal clear and all the level's are fine. For $80 you can't go wrong, it does add alot of air into the pool from the venturi though.

Intex claims it is good up to 15000 gallons. More importantly, it is speced to put out 11 gr/hr of chlorine (max spec) which should in theory support your pool (thats about 0.22 FC/hr in your pool). The unknown with this unit is the ozone and if it will actually cause a higher demand for chlorine...it may. In addition, if it has a venturi as suggested, the ph rise may be very high since the nature of the swg also causes a ph rise.

One other potential negative is it looks like it adds 4 extra 90 degree turns to the water.

The pH rise I am not too concerned about, because my fill water is a pH of 4.5, so I am already always raising that. I have a solar cover that is on most of the day, so my FC loss per day is usually around 1 ppm. I can't find this on Google, does anyone have a link they could share?

Thanks for those links. Since this is new technology, I think I will wait for some other people to try it for a while. That said, if it doesn't increase chlorine demand, and lasts a reasonably long time, I think in the long run this would be cheaper than bleach for me.

It does look like the izone generator module is replaceable, so maybe it can be taken out and not put back in...but I am not sure about that. As has been said, a typical outdoor residential pool has no need for ozone if it is properly chlorinated.

The ozone/venturi part is under the plastic shell next to the traditional controller, clean design. The only bad thing is even with the unit off, the venturi always putting out air. Good for keeping PH high with low TA and kids like bubbles. I have a small 14' ultra and been running for 4 hrs a day only hooked up to 2650 sand filter. Pic.
smallP1000843.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the ozone part. That said, at $80, even if it increases chlorine demand a bit, this seems like it could be a good deal for me. Do you know if this SWG contains copper bars like the other ones do?

JohnN said:
Do you know if this SWG contains copper bars like the other ones do?
It appears to not have copper anymore (thank goodness).

yister said:
The only bad thing is even with the unit off, the venturi always putting out air.
That stinks.

If you take out the ozone module, will the system still run? If it does, could you just plug the venturi?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.