Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sad example of how improper water balance can end in tragedy

1. Back To Top    #1
    Seattle, WA

Sad example of how improper water balance can end in tragedy

Lots of factors here, but proper water balance was one.

Hope this link works. I have a subscription to the Seattle Times so I don't know if it'll work for you, but I think they allow viewing up to 10 articles for free for new users.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Sad example of how improper water balance can end in tra

#1.........Who in their right mind would have been in there in the first place?

#2.......Give the history, I predict a lawsuit.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    North Georgia

That whole situation is just plain ridiculous!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

SpringHill FL

Thats just bull**** I cant believe the pool was allowed to be used in that condition by hotel staff!!!
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

5. Back To Top    #5

Similar to one in, I think, boston a year or so ago. i think they went days with a body in the pool and did not know it. Tragic.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

6. Back To Top    #6

Richmond, Texas

I was at a hotel in Omaha, Ne in Feb. and the indoor pool was super cloudy and kids and adults were swimming in it. I just shook my head in disbelief that they allowed folks to swim in it and folks were actually going in the water. Yuck.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

7. Back To Top    #7
    B.A. Okla.

So...not to be too morbid but what's commercial-pool SOP here? Shock + correct the balance or drain and refill? Would water-cost or the drowning of a similar-weight deer or wild hog change your answer any? I've been here a month and I know you all are anti-drain and love a chemistry challenge. But does superstition, gross-factor, respect for the human-dead play a part/trump that in any way?

I see some of you all posting about dead squirrels in pools, my wife would surely make me drain (probably then scrub walls with bleach) + refill for a dead half pound squirrel. (unless I saw it first and quickly got rid of it)
    18' Summer escapes with original skimmer + intex pump + intex sand filter w/ Zeolite, Intex SWG. 1x ecosaver 50sqft solar panel with dedicated pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

San Rafael, CA USA

Commercial/public pools, if they follow typical standards, replace 7 gallons of water for every bather (technically, it should be every bather-hour, but the standards say per bather). Water replacement from backwashing sand filters counts toward this amount.

The pools count on water dilution plus filtration to keep the water clear. The chlorine is there as well to provide oxidation and, of course, disinfection. Higher bather load pools often have some form of supplemental oxidation to help with bather waste, be it non-chlorine shock (MPS) or ozone. UV systems are sometimes used, but usually indoors to help with chloramines. Mostly though, it's about filtration.

The biggest problem is that the more recent pools use horizontal rapid-rate sand filters and these don't filter smaller particles as well and can't be used effectively with coagulants (clarifiers). In Europe, vertical and slower rate sand filters are used along with coagulants to keep the water clear, but also to remove organic precursors to reduce chlorine disinfection by-products.

Then, of course, some of the commercial/public pools use Trichlor and have problems with higher CYA and since they don't understand the chlorine/CYA relationship they can get the active chlorine level too low so that bather waste builds up and algae can also grow. This particular pool in the link you gave was indoors so less likely to use CYA, though some pools still do. For Washington state where this pool was located, this link and this link show no CYA restrictions for indoor pools. However, since this pool was written up for no chlorine just a month earlier, this sounds more like not properly maintaining the chlorine level.

Hotel pools are probably in worse shape than larger public pools due to not having as many trained people to manage the pool. For many hotels, the pool is just one small part of the hotel's amenities and isn't properly maintained. There aren't enough inspectors to keep an eye on such pools.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9
    Silver Spring, MD

And, of course, commercial pools must be closed to swimmers unless you can clearly see the bottom of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School