Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to get CL up...how?

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to get CL up...how?

CL 0 BR 0 PH 7.6 FC .5 CC .5 TA 110 CYA 30 CH 270

Not sure how much it rained lately since we were on vacation. But I do know it rained. I need to get the CL up. Can I use the hth shock n swim to get it back up? And if I do, how much of the 16 oz and how soon can we swim?
    3736 gal, AG-Intex 15'x48", SWS pump Krystal Clear-CS8110, KC-637R Filter Pump, TF 100 Test Kit, Shreveport LA., Jul 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to get CL up...how?

You def need to get your FC up or you know what's about to set up shop. For a CYA of 30 you need to keep it at 2-6 ppm.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Use bleach to raise it would be the obvious answer
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fireman0136
    CL 0 BR 0 PH 7.6 FC .5 CC .5 TA 110 CYA 30 CH 270

Not sure how much it rained lately since we were on vacation. But I do know it rained. I need to get the CL up. Can I use the hth shock n swim to get it back up? And if I do, how much of the 16 oz and how soon can we swim?
    You could use it, bearing in mind that that 16 oz package of 53% Cal-hypo will raise FC by 19 and CH by 13, and you're already near the upper edge of CH and you don't want that SWG element to start scaling.

If you plug your numbers into http://www.poolcalculator.com/ you'll see that about 1/4 of the bag will raise FC to just about 5 FC, which is a good number for 30 CYA. You really should learn to use http://www.poolcalculator.com/ ; having someone else tell you what to put in your pool is, frankly, how you end up pool-stored.

You can swim as soon as the stuff is mixed with the pool water. Dissolve it in a bucket, then pour it in front of a return and let it circulate. A better idea is to give one of the kids the brush and tell them to brush the walls, and when they make a full circle, they can get in.

As an aside, if you raise the CYA level, you probably won't lose so much FC to the sun, and the level will stay up better.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard is correct as always lol if you use bleach pour 27 ounces of 8.25% in and it will give you fc lvl of 5 also.( im a huge proponent of liquid chlorine)
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

6. Back To Top    #6

In your case, I would think a little dichlor, IF YOU KEEP TRACK OF HOW MUCH YOU ADD, wouldn't hurt. A CYA of 30 is low for a SWG, and if you get it a bit higher, like Richard said, your SWG will be able to keep up better. The effects of adding chemicals section of the pool calculator will tell you how much CYA dichlor will add.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

I too think your cya level is too low for a swg. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...ater_generator With that said, make sure you don't need to kill off an algae outbreak...you would want to do that before raising the cya up to 70-80 ppm.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.