How to vacuum 16 x 32 ultra with sand filter pump 2650 gph?

HDRockerCgirl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2013
NJ
I have read so many posts that I'm confused between different types of Intex pools and filters. As far as I know I do not have a skimmer only a strainer grid part #10253 that sucks water to the pump. I do have optional part #10849 adapter A with threaded collar left over from the Ozone & Saltwater system. I purchased a generic deluxe pool kit which is a leaf skimmer, telescoping pole, curved floor brush, triangle shaped vacuum head with bristles and a really long hose. I have no idea how or even if any of this can be connected to my pump in order to vacuum. Does anyone know how to vacuum with this pool and pump?

Thank you for any advice.
Barb

Re: How to vacuum 16 x 32 ultra with sand filter pump 2650 g

I am not an intex expert but can you plug the end of the long vacuum hose into the suction fitting when the pump sucks the water from the pool? You may need to remove the strainer cover from the suction fitting. The other end of the hose, normally spins but may not, will fit over the fitting on the triangle vacuum head. The telescoping pole should slide over the handle on the vacuum head. You may need to push in the white pegs on the vacuum head to get the pole to fasten to it.

Thank you Guy. I ended up ordering a pool hose connector from Ace hardware http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... Id=1286468. Here is a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLnsQnt5mc

I had the same problem and the guy in the video. My standard pool vacuum hose did not fit into the suction fitting inside the pool or on the pump itself. I have not yet received the part but when I do and actually use it I will post the results.

Ok, it didn't work. That piece didn't fit anywhere it was too small. I did have a piece that fit on the outgoing fitting after I took off the grate. It was a piece from a plastic pool fountain that screwed onto the outgoing and the standard pool hose did fit into it. However, the pump started loosing suction, it did get up the silt, but the heavier sand and small pebbles, not even pieces of stickers that were on the noodles. The gauge on the pump was maxed out, higher than the green, it didn't go into the yellow or red. I don't know what to do. I think I will have the same problem with anything I connect to the pump that is smaller than an Intex hose. Btw, I did fill the hose with water from the jet.

Just wondering if you have figured anything out yet? i bought an Aqua Critter vacuum and have the same issue-- where to plug into the filter?

Hi Angie, no I have nothing figured out yet! I had to stop worrying about if for now, have to prepare to a birthday pool party tomorrow. They will just have to swim in a sandy pool. If and when I do figure it out I will update this post.

the intex brand "deluxe" maintenace kit comes with all you need..it includes the skimmer, skimmer to pump hose and along with the regular vaccum brush and pole it has the strainer bag and plastic housing that "snaps" into the skimmer allowing you to use the vaccum....it came with our Intex and combined with the 2650 pump does a great job of getting all the sand out. Here in West Texas, you gotta have a good vaccum. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have the same Intex 2650 sand filter as you and I'm using it to vacuum my pool. I bought an 18' length of 1 1/2 hose from the pool store. My pool is 15' round so this is plenty long enough. I throw the hose in the pool and make sure to fill it with water and get all the air out. I unscrew the strainer cover from the pump/filter inlet on the side of the pool and just stick one end of the hose into in. No need to screw it in or otherwise secure it; the suction from the pump holds the hose in.

To vacuum I use the Intex venturi vacuum head attached to the skimmer pole (i.e. the same equipment that came with my pool). I plug the other end of the hose into the vacuum head. It's a pretty snug fit but it will pull out as you vacuum, so I secure it with a Velcro strap. It's a little hokey and definitely low budget, but for me it works perfectly.

My pool doesn't get very dirty so I only need to vacuum it once a week or so. I could take some pictures if that would help.

Thanks Jim. My pool didn't come with any accessories, I even had to buy the volleyball set. It only lasted about 10 minutes, well, the ball. The first time it was hit out of the pool my lab got a hold of it! Lol. Anyway I purchased the intex deluxe maintenance kit and a surface skimmer. I hope I got the right skimmer, I read the reviews and people complained that it didn't stay on the pool, but it was the only one that said it fit ultra frame pools.

Have you ever had any issues with the pump leaking where the basket skimmer housing connects to the pump? There is like a seam where the 2 pieces go together, mine is dripping. Sometimes it drips from the clear plastic ring where the basket is also. But I think that is an o ring misalignment, but I don't understand, if its sealed how can the o ring become misaligned?? Oh well, thank goodness I have an extra pump/filter.

Barb, when I first installed my sand filter I had water leaking from the top of the skimmer basket. I took off the cover and found that the O-ring was misaligned and had gotten pinched. I'm not sure how I did this (careless, working too quickly, not paying attention?) but luckily I discovered it quickly and the O-ring was not damaged. I reinserted it properly and have had no leaks ever since. My sand filter has worked like a champ and my pool has been crystal clear all season.

Thanks Jim, I played around with it, took it off and on several times rinsing the o ring, the lid and threaded plastic ring and that seemed to work.

As far as the surface skimmer, it worked great for about the first hour, then there wasn't any water sitting in the skimmer basket on the pump, it was flowing in just not filling up. I took it off, didnt to burn up the pump. It's a shame because it worked real well, no gnats or bugs floating on top. It seems like anything that has a smaller opening that connects to the water out, changes flow rate, the skimmer basket loses water. Intex should make things to work with their pumps!! I guess I'm just going to have to use the skimmer net everyday. I'm still waiting for the vacuum, I hope I don't have the same issue!

I had similar problems with the surface skimmer and eventually gave up on it. This was the surface skimmer that came with my pool and was designed to work with the much smaller, less powerful cartridge filter pump that came with my pool.

What seemed to be happening was that the hose diameter was not large enough and the pump was not able to draw in the volume of water it needed to operate. The suction was so strong that the water level inside the skimmer would actually be slightly lower than the level of the pool water unless I pushed the whole skimmer underwater a couple of inches. Otherwise the clear plastic strainer attached to the pump would start to cavitate and fill up with air. In normal operation there is no air at all in it. Like you, I didn't want to damage my pump so I shut it off and disconnected the skimmer.

The skimmer actually worked well with the old pump and maybe I should try again and get it working with my sand filter. I'll try this weekend with a larger diameter hose and let you know.

Hi there. I have posted a separate question about my Intex vacuum having no suction but saw this post and thought I would just ask the user above kellyetheredge about it as you have the same kit I have. Our vacuum also locks into the skimmer but even though our skimmer works ok, the vacuum when put together doesn't, it doesn't have suction. Do you have any ideas about what I am doing wrong? Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.