Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High alkaline

1. Back To Top    #1

High alkaline

New pool is up, and finished filling today. Tested the water after it was filled with an HTH 6 way drop kit. The ph was right around 8.0, and the alkaline was around 240ppm. This is an 18x42 pool, and the test were done before adding the chlorine. What course should I take to lower the alkaline? My daughter has skin reactions to higher levels of alkaline so I need to get it cleared up before she can use the pool.

I have a gallon or muriatic acid (31.45/20) and diluted 1 pint with 3 pints water, and fed it slowly a couple feet ahead of the pools inlet, but don't want to do much else till I can get some advice.
    8.5K gal, AG, Krystal Clear Sand 14" model #SF15110; flow rate 1600 gal/hr, June 2013

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: High alkaline

Drop your PH down to 7.2 with muriatic acid.............aerate to raise it back up....then hit it again a few times. This will lower your TA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks woody. It's aerating now. I'll test the water again tomorrow after work and go from there. Need to grab some stabilizer as well. Should I wait on adding the stabilizer until the levels are good though?
    8.5K gal, AG, Krystal Clear Sand 14" model #SF15110; flow rate 1600 gal/hr, June 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

You can add the stabilizer now.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Twin Cities, MN

Yeah as Woody said, just lower the ph with Muriatic this every time it gets up to where it bothers her or you reach 7.8. No need to worry about TA, it will come down on it's own and will not cause a problem (or skin reaction) even if it is high other than causing ph to drift up faster.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. Going to grab the stabilizer after work.