Nee Help POOL CLOUDY with blue powder

Jul 12, 2013
Hello all,

Been lurking around for about 2 years reading all types of posts and learning everything I can about my above ground pool. But I have run into a problem that no body can solve and no matter what I try nothing helps. So I hope someone one this board with great knowledge can help.

So here is the problem, last weekend my PH was at 6.8 so I added PH up (don't know chemical name sorry) but it was amount the label recommended. It's made by BIOGAURD. I noticed after about 2 hours my pool water started to turn cloudy, but this is where I find it interesting. The water has a blue color to it, and what I mean is when I backwash the filter the water has a light blue tint to it. I put some water in a bucket and after it sat for a half hour whatever the stuff is settled to the bottom. But as soon as I move the bucket it stirs up in the water and whatever the stuff is, it like very fine powder. I had all the chemical levels checked and everything is spot on. PH, CYA, ALK, CHLORIINE, saturation level, Calcium Hardness.

I have tried a chemical called "powerfloc" believe I spelled it right. Label says it make chemicals heavier and cause them to sink to the bottom. Worked kinda of, let the pool sit for 24 hours according to instructions. But as soon as I went to vacuum the pool the cloudiness kicked up. So I am willing to try anything right now, I just hope I don't have to drain the pool.

Link to chemical used to try and clear up cloudiness according to pool store.

http://www.bioguard.com/Our_Products/Wa ... /PowerFloc

I have had the filter running for a week straight. The heater has not been in on in over a month.

Little info about the pool.

Above ground pool
12' X 24 ' aprrox. 7500 gal
19" waterway sand filter
rheem 130k heater
In-Line Chlorinator

Why wouldn't you use Borax to raise your pH since you've been lurking so long? You've surely ran across several posting on BBB & Pool School? Yes?

Test results of SPOT ON? I'm sorry but we don't know what SPOT ON is.

We can not begin to even help you without accurate test results. Can you please post your test results? They should not include: Good, okay, high or low. We need numbers. :goodjob:

Balance Pak 200 is 100% sodium carbonate. It should dissolve easily.
Balance Pak 300 is Calcium increaser, which can very easily cloud water.
There might be something in the bioguard line that contains copper, which could tint things blue.

It's really important for you to know exactly what you're putting in your pool and to know your test results. Any answers we give you will just be speculation without knowing exactly what that bioguard stuff was, what the powerfloc was, and what are your test results.

I understand about the BBB method and thought about switching but until recently I have not had any problem with the store. And I only use them once or twice a year. Mainly after opening the pool and about mid summer other wise I test the water myself.

Yes I know the Chorine is high, I shocked the pool the day before I had the water tested.
The PH increser I added was " Balance 200"

I provided the link for the "powerfloc", it seems to act like a clarifier. It seems to be the only thing that works somewhat. The water is now partly clear, before I could not even see the bottom of the pool. Now I can just barely can.

I have Lamonte tester for the water

Chemical result.

Saturation ind. -.0.2
CYA 100
Total Chlorine 7.9
Free Chlorine 7.7
P.H 7.4
ALk 142
Hardness 138
Copper 0.2

You said you shocked the other day. What did you use to shock ?

With our method your shock level is 25 ppm of chlorine with a CYA of 100. Even with a CYA of 100 you need to maintain a FC level of 8-13 ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jwsullivan1999 said:
I shocked it on Saturday and had the water tested on Sunday.

http://www.bioguard.com/Our_Products/Ox ... hock%C2%AE

I suspect that stuff might have your water out of whack. One thing is your CYA is why too high.

If you would like to switch over to our methods you need to lower the CYA by draining replacing some water to get that CYA into an acceptable range.

Liquid chlorine "bleach" is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

jwsullivan1999 said:
Ok, but if drain it, how do I get the blue fine powder out? I understand that because of the chemicals I added that the water is out of whack. But, I can't seem to get the powder out.
Perhaps a manual pool vacuum?

Is there any slope to your yard? Some people have done a vacuum to waste using a siphon. If there's somewhere lower than the pool, it would be worthwhile to rig something up. Essentially you'd be draining half the water from the bottom.

If you choose instead to drain it all, a wet-and-dry shop vacuum will pick it up when the water is down to the last few inches. .

Richard320 said:
jwsullivan1999 said:
Ok, but if drain it, how do I get the blue fine powder out? I understand that because of the chemicals I added that the water is out of whack. But, I can't seem to get the powder out.
Perhaps a manual pool vacuum?

Is there any slope to your yard? Some people have done a vacuum to waste using a siphon. If there's somewhere lower than the pool, it would be worthwhile to rig something up. Essentially you'd be draining half the water from the bottom.

If you choose instead to drain it all, a wet-and-dry shop vacuum will pick it up when the water is down to the last few inches. .

I like the idea of siphoning out the bottoming of pool, my yard is all the same level as the pool. You think it would work if let the stuff settle and used a sump pump and pumped it out?

One more questions if I did have to drain to the pool, it would not damage the liner by draining all the water out would it? I thought I read somewhere that the liner could possibly pop out if you drain to much water out.

Ok, need a little more help. I am draining the water out of the pool. I will leave about 1 foot in the bottom. But how do you get the pool clean and what can you clean it with?
Also I am going to replace the sand because something said check it out and there was blue crystals sitting on top of the sand inside the filter. Don't know what they are from, but I am going to replace the sand.

I thank every one of you guys for your quick response to my questions. It stinks I had to go this far. But lesson learned. I will be switching to the BBB method.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.