Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Colorq pro 7 debate and results

1. Back To Top    #1

Colorq pro 7 debate and results

Ok. I know this has been debated quit a bit on this site however, I wanted to throw in my results. I have had the Colorq for about two weeks now and ill tell you it has been very,very accurate. Now, when I first got it I just jumped right in and started testing and it was a disaster. It would be like using the tf-100 (great kit buy the way) with out knowing you have to keep mixing the drops. The colorq has very precise instructions that need to be followed and once you do, it will be dead on including the cya and the ch. At least for me it has been. Ill point out the major ones.

1. Make sure your tubes are clean. Us the brush they give you.
    2. Make sure they are dry on the outside.
    3. Make sure you blank before starting your group of test AND us the water and tube you blanked with for your fcl and tcl test. Be sure to hold reagent bottles straight up and down when dispensing.
    4. Invert tube only once(except cor the cya test) and do not shake. Tap the tube a few times on the bottom to break any bubbles.
    5.Press the button to move on to your next test BEFORE removing the tube ( they don't say why but this one seems to make a big difference. Maybe has Something to do with lighting ).
    6. When doing ch and ta test, wait 20 to 30 seconds before testing. This is not in the instructions but it seems to work every time.
    7. When doing cya test, invert three times and wait the FULL 2 min and then invert one more time and test IMMEDIATELY. Do not wait. About 7 test now and everyone has been between 69 and 72. The black dot test comes out as 70.
    8. The chlorine test is rated for 10 ppm however, they DO outline a procedure for testing much higher levels in cases of shocking as follows :

Add 1 mL of sample water to a test tube by filling the cap full. Then fill to the 5mL line with distilled or deionized water (bottled water can contain hardness) to get estimated results. Cap and mix. Blank with this diluted sample then follow the test procedure add reagent to the diluted sample. Multiply the displayed result by 5. (Not applicable for the ph test).

Seems like a lot but following these instructions you can do all test in about 6 to 7 mins with accurate results.
    21000 gal vinyl lined in ground
    36 sq. ft. DE filter with Hayward 1.5hp VSP
    SWG chlorine
    Massachusetts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Colorq pro 7 debate and results

Bear in mind the accuracy of the DPD test goes down as you dilute to be able to measure high FC levels.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

You are correct. I got 15 ppm on drop test and 14.2 on colorq. My cc after shocking was zero so I'm very happy with the results. Bear in mind I still support the tf100 kit but wanted to give a honest report on a product that is getting more and more popular.
    SWG chlorine
    Massachusetts

4. Back To Top    #4

The ColorQ can be handy in some situations, but it is not practical to use it as your only tester. You simply can't measure overnight FC loss with enough precision while at shock level to be useful. You also can't measure CYA with enough precision to be dependable, even assuming that you do everything correctly (which most do not). The last I heard the ColorQ has problems when CH levels are very very high. There are also a few reports of specific units which were way wildly wrong, even though they appeared in every way to be working correctly. If you are using the ColorQ as a supplemental tester it is easy to note that problem, by comparing to your primary test kit, and have the unit repaired. If it is your only tester you have a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree. I've become a testing fanatic and us more than one. Drives my wife crazy. So far, every test with the Colorq has been very accurate, especially the cya. Although you do have to be careful with the temperature range. I forgot to mention that. Also, my pool is vinly so the ch isn't all that important to me but I test it anyways and have brought my ch from 80 to 150 just for testing purposes. Got 155 to 157 on colrq 4 times and 160 on drop test. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that got a good tester.
    SWG chlorine
    Massachusetts

6. Back To Top    #6

They generally work fine when they are new. The question is what happens a year from now, or two years, and if something does happen how are you supposed to know that something happened?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll update this thread a year from now and let everyone know lol. I do recommend everyone should still have the tf100 in there arsenal. Should always trust but verify.
    SWG chlorine
    Massachusetts

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok you got me. I sent it back. Started to give crazy results but really wanted it to work because I am a digital guru. Broke down and ordered the Taylor k2006 and waiting for it to arrive.
    SWG chlorine
    Massachusetts

9. Back To Top    #9

That was a quick year
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

Lol. Well it was ******* me off
    SWG chlorine
    Massachusetts

11. Back To Top    #11

Got my kit and the speedstir. That toy is pretty cool. Makes the test as fast as the colorq. One question, how do I know when to use the .5 Fc test vs the .2 test ?
    SWG chlorine
    Massachusetts

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

.5 ppm resolution is all we ever recommend. It saves on reagent and your pool requires no further precision than that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Like Dave said no need for more precision than that, I personally suspect there is often a .2 ppm FC or more variation in your pool water from one part of the pool to another, if you want to test it yourself, try taking water samples from different parts of the pool at different depths when you don't have your pump circulating water.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

Frist results
    Fc 7.5
    Cc.5
    Ph 7.6
    Cya 80
    Ta100

Second results
    Fc7.5