Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I add cellulose after each backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I add cellulose after each backwash?

I'm nearing the end of" Slamming" my pool. I added cellulose to help my sand filter clear the pool. Do I need to add it each time I back wash? I am only back washing when filter pressure increases by 25%. Pressure increased after about 40 min of circulating-I backwashed & resumed filtering. I wanted to be sure I was to add more cellulose after each backwash.
    Starla
    1993 22x42(40K gal) vinyl Grecian, inground
    Aquarite SWG, Hayward s244t sand filter & 1hp Hayward pump, polaris 380 w/booster pump and dedicated return.
    2 skimmer baskets, main drain, 3 returns along wall, 2 at steps

Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I add cellulose after each backwash!

Yes it is lost each time you backflush...add enough to raise the pressure back up 1 psi after backflushing. If you are going to be away from the pool for awhile you might want to skip adding the cellulose.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Do I add cellulose after each backwash?

I added 4 of the included cups as directed by the instructions on the container. That seemed like ALOT! I had to back wash within 40- 50 min. I did this 3 times & have used almost the whole 1.5 container. Now, should I add 1 cup & wait 10-15 min to see if I get a 1psi increase in pressure before adding more? ( I have 3 more lbs of cellulose)
    Starla
    Aquarite SWG, Hayward s244t sand filter & 1hp Hayward pump, polaris 380 w/booster pump and dedicated return.

Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare101
    I added 4 of the included cups as directed by the instructions on the container. That seemed like ALOT! I had to back wash within 40- 50 min. I did this 3 times & have used almost the whole 1.5 container. Now, should I add 1 cup & wait 10-15 min to see if I get a 1psi increase in pressure before adding more? ( I have 3 more lbs of cellulose)
    If it's loading up that fast, I'd say keep using it. Try going lighter; it's still a sand filter underneath! Let us know how it works. It seems to me from reports here that the cellulose doesn't raise pressure when adding the way DE does, and I'd like to know. Add a cup and see if it still loads up in under and hour.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I added 1 cup of cellulose ,no change in filter psi after one hour. I added another cup & no change after an additional 30 min. I think I will check it again in 30 min and leave it for tonight. Or, should I backwash it out before I go to bed?
    Starla

Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

1 hour after adding 2nd cup, psi increased by1
    Starla

Taylor K-2006