Outdoor speaker wiring project

Jun 26, 2013
Guys,
I know there has been topics here on this and that many of you would recommend the low voltage wire from local stores like HD. However, most of you suggest it works and well and is a cheaper solution. I have looked ad HD, Lowes and online and find speaker wire much cheaper then low voltage wiring. The Low voltage wires run around $57 to $80 for 100' there and speaker wire can be found for under $20. Is there a reason I should go with the landscape wiring? I will run the wire from my living room through the wall into the attic and speakers are just under the roof overhang, so only a few inches of wire will stick out from the attic. Would something like this be a good choice?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2 or even the cheaper 14Gauge version? perhaps I don't even need to use the in wall wires?

Re: RE: Outdoor speaker wiring project

Low voltage landscape wiring is for direct burial outside. The Monoprice cl2 wire is for in wall installation and is required to eliminate the possibility of an insurance adjuster denying a claim in the event of a fire. Since you need in wall, Monoprice is the way to go!

Sent from my phone using Board Express

Re: RE: Outdoor speaker wiring project

rhaas12321 said:
Low voltage landscape wiring is for direct burial outside. The Monoprice cl2 wire is for in wall installation and is required to eliminate the possibility of an insurance adjuster denying a claim in the event of a fire. Since you need in wall, Monoprice is the way to go!

Sent from my phone using Board Express
I guess my worry is will this wire do ok with the heat in the attic and the minimal exposore outside the house?

Rafael - a UL table I found seems to show the minimum rating for CL2 rated wire is 60 DegC (140 DegF). The specs for Monoprice wire and Radio Shack don't show the temperature rating but they would have to meet the 60C minimum. Should be fine for running in the attic. The Radio Shack product summary says it is also rated for in-wall use but it's only 16 AWG. I would go with 14 AWG minimum.

Rafael,
And remember that a heavier gauge wire will carry the sound to your speakers somewhat more efficiently with less loss of digital fidelity across the distance from your sound source. We did exactly as you have planned, up through the wall, across the attic and out under the roof of the patio, using 12 gauge wire, I believe, to run about 50 feet. It's clear-coated, silver and brass wire, much like lamp cord. We also added an A/B switch at the source to direct sound to either indoors or outdoors, or both, and good speakers are important, of course. Works great! Enjoy your music by the pool! :party:

alanpaul said:
Rafael,
And remember that a heavier gauge wire will carry the sound to your speakers somewhat more efficiently with less loss of digital fidelity across the distance from your sound source. We did exactly as you have planned, up through the wall, across the attic and out under the roof of the patio, using 12 gauge wire, I believe, to run about 50 feet. It's clear-coated, silver and brass wire, much like lamp cord. We also added an A/B switch at the source to direct sound to either indoors or outdoors, or both, and good speakers are important, of course. Works great! Enjoy your music by the pool! :party:

Thanks for the help guys, I have the Yamaha NS-AW150W speakers for outside and Energy Take Classic 5.1 for my living room (already have monster speaker wire 16 gauge for these) connected to Yamaha RX-A710 receiver which has 2 zones. I plan to use one for inside the house and the other for outside. Not really sure how everything will work out and if I would need the A/B switch?

Raf,
If you have 2 zones available, and you are using one for indoors and one for outdoors, then you're in good shape. If you want more zones, you'll need more switching capabilities, therefore a speaker switch with even more options.

And don't use that 16 gauge wire for your outdoor speakers! I agree that minimum should be 14 gauge wire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
alanpaul said:
Raf,
If you have 2 zones available, and you are using one for indoors and one for outdoors, then you're in good shape. If you want more zones, you'll need more switching capabilities, therefore a speaker switch with even more options.

And don't use that 16 gauge wire for your outdoor speakers! I agree that minimum should be 14 gauge wire.

I have been using 16 gauge for my outdoor speakers for 1-2 years with zero issues. Granted I do not have very long runs. Maybe 20-30 feet to each speaker.

I don't believe Rafael told us the actual distance, but he is looking at using high quality speaker wire, apparently up the inside of a wall, thru the attic and exiting an exterior wall to outside speakers. The wire he discussed at the top of the thread is 12 gauge, though I'd say most of us would feel that 14 gauge would be sufficient, unless he's going more than a hundred feet from source to speaker. Wire is also temperature-rated, and I'm guessing he's doing his homework on that too. Right, Rafael?

Yes I wanted to make sure I do it safely, I already ordered the 14 gauge in wall rated wire from Monoprice as you guys suggested. The runs are going to be around 20-30 feet just like the other poster. I actually have another question for you guys. The wires I have for the living room are not rated for in wall installation. I am not really going to install them inside the wall but rather run them across existing crown molding which is a very small version. I already run a bigger crown molding in the rest of the house and once the wires are in place I will install that crown molding over the smaller crown molding and wires. Do you suppose this monster 16gauge cable is ok or should I go with wall installation wire as well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.