Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Salt - Must Drain Pool - Arizona Summer

1. Back To Top    #1

High Salt - Must Drain Pool - Arizona Summer

I just bought a house with a inground pebble pool. The salt content in the water is so high, that my concrete deck coating around the pool is de-laminating. I was told to drain the pool and refill. Its 110 F in AZ right now, 80 F at night. Others told me not to drain pool in summer as pebble surface will crack.

My question. Using a submersible pump, can I drain water from the bottom of pool at the same time I am adding new water to the top. Will that work?

Thanks
    10,000 gallon IG pebble pool, 1,200 gallon raised spa, built 2006, Hayward Mega Plus 700 cartridge filter, Hayward Northstar SP4015NS 1.5hp pump, Hayward Super II 2.5hp spa pump w/blower, Jandy AquaLink RS, SpaLink RS controller, A&A Quik Leveler, Quik Clean In-floor cleaning/leaf vac, Laars LX 400 heater, Fiberstars 6004 fiber optic light. Massive delamination of ShastaDeck cool decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Salt - Must Drain Pool - Arizona Summer

Search for something called the tarp method.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Are you pretty sure the salt content is causing delamination? Do you know how high the salt content is?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I would also question whether or not the pool chemistry really was affecting the concrete. Who told you that it was? Can you post all of your levels? Is this a salt-water pool?

In the event that you decide to lower the level of some chemical, you might have the option to have reverse osmosis done if it's available in your area.

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow. Great forum. My pool was a salt water pool, but the cell broke and the previous owner took it out. The ppm is like 4000. The deck coating is delaminating in 5 places where my kids get out of the pool and water is spashed. The concrete looks pitted where the coating is gone. If I take a mouth full of water, it tastes like salt. The pool is 7 years old.
    10,000 gallon IG pebble pool, 1,200 gallon raised spa, built 2006, Hayward Mega Plus 700 cartridge filter, Hayward Northstar SP4015NS 1.5hp pump, Hayward Super II 2.5hp spa pump w/blower, Jandy AquaLink RS, SpaLink RS controller, A&A Quik Leveler, Quik Clean In-floor cleaning/leaf vac, Laars LX 400 heater, Fiberstars 6004 fiber optic light. Massive delamination of ShastaDeck cool decking.

7. Back To Top    #7

The salt content may be a little high, but not terribly so... usually 3000-3200...sometimes higher depending on the SWG.

Can you post all the test results from your water? I wonder if something else is being hard on your pool and decking surfaces?
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Concrete coatings can delaminate. I wouldn't be so sure that the salt had anything to do with it. What coating product was used, and how old is it?

9. Back To Top    #9

My deck coating is Shasta Deck put on by Shasta Pools. Its 7 years old. Its only delaminating where people get out of the pool and splash water. 80% of the deck looks great.

10. Back To Top    #10

Draining the pool at this time of year in Arizona is not a good idea.

Salt could cause the problem you describe, but so could other issues. The first step is to get the salt level measured. You need to know where your salt level is now to find out if it really is a salt issue or if you need to investigate some of the other possibilities, and also to find out how much water needs to be replaced if you do end up needing to get the salt level down. While you are at it, get a salt measurement for your fill water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School