Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about salt strips...

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about salt strips...

OK...
    the pool looks awesome, if I do say so myself....
    I do still need to lower the TA and raise the CH....
    Planning to lower TA this weekend.

My iAqualink/Aquapure SWG tells me that there are 3400ppm of salt in the pool water.
    I just used the Check Strips for salt and they said that there are only 2310ppm....

Which do I believe??

I added a 40 pound bag of salt yesterday and the iAqualink tells me that the salt concentration went up by 200ppm during the last 24 hours....

???

Thanks for advice
    41'x22' freeform, 25,000 gallons. Stonescapes mini-pebble: color AquaBlue. Jandy CV CL580 filter, Jany 1.5 HP Vsp pump, Jandy AquaPure SWG. 5 ton twin waterfall and 17' slide (only running when kids are playing in the pool). Attached Spa with overflow (runs continuously with the Filter Pump). Gas heater for Spa, electric HeatPump for pool. Polaris 9300xi cleaner. Double Main drains, 2 skimmers, Auto-Fill.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about salt strips...

The only thing that matters is what the SWG thinks, so it will keep working. Likely your strips are bad.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Salt strips are new.
    Just delivered here two days ago along with my nifty, fancy TF-100 chemistry set.
    This is the first time I have used them.
    Hmmmmmmm??.....
    41'x22' freeform, 25,000 gallons. Stonescapes mini-pebble: color AquaBlue. Jandy CV CL580 filter, Jany 1.5 HP Vsp pump, Jandy AquaPure SWG. 5 ton twin waterfall and 17' slide (only running when kids are playing in the pool). Attached Spa with overflow (runs continuously with the Filter Pump). Gas heater for Spa, electric HeatPump for pool. Polaris 9300xi cleaner. Double Main drains, 2 skimmers, Auto-Fill.

4. Back To Top    #4

How new is your sensor in your SWG? Mine was acting funny since last year and as soon as the water warmed up it was all over the place with readings and started throwing errors. My Taylor salt test said 3600 ppm and the SWG said 2700.

I replaced the sensor and guess what my SWG says now....you guessed it....3600.

You can also try cleaning the sensor itself per Jandy manual.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Although the range is pretty wide, we have found those Aqua-chek strips to be pretty reliable.

Would you mind reporting the expiration date? Should be around the latter part of 2014, I think. It's on the top of the yellow cap.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

If you want accurate results, get a Taylor K1766 salt test and double check your results. I calibrated my Jandy to the K1766.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

7. Back To Top    #7

duraleigh: The expiration date on the Salt strips is 12/2014.

un1017: The sensor is brand new. We just built the pool...filled on May 2-4, 2013....had to use regular chlorine method until Pebble finish was cured. Salt was put in on June 10 and the AquaPure Salt/chlorinator/generator was turned on.

I'm kinda at a loss....

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would believe the strips. They are part of a very large batch nationwide and a very current. If yours were bad, likely the entire batch would be bad and there would be other reports. Have you calibrated your SWG against any other standard? Maybe stop by a pool store (ugh) and get a "second opinion" if you are concerned.

Importantly, your SWG is happy and making chlorine.......but I think I'd like it to be a little closer than that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I am having the same issue with my strips, so perhaps there was a bad batch?
    +/-16k gallon IG pebblesheen pool with SWG, spa and waterfall, Hayward 2HP 2-speed Tri-star, Hayward 1.5HP Tri-star, Hayward 5030 Cartridge filter, Hayward H400 Heater, Sharkvac Robotic Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

As a side note on this.......I am using the aqua check strips(I think from tftestkits) and I tested my salt with one this morning and got a reading of almost 2500 on salt. I added 100lbs of salt (food grade granulated not iodized) and brushed and tested again in about 2 hours. The strip showed just below the 3180 mark. The pool calculator said 100lbs of salt would raise my salt by 430 if I recall correctly. So basically I'm trusting the strips and questioning the volume I thought of my pool. The expiration on my test strips is also 12/2014.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

11. Back To Top    #11

I use Aqua Chek strips too. Sometimes the result chart on the labels are different from one bottle to another. Even when new & purchased at the same time. Why?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18'x52"
    Intex 2650 Sand Pump
    Krystal Klear SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

Although I do not have a SWG, I use the strips to test salt monthly so I can calculate CSI. Have been using the salt strips for two years (2 separate batches) and have obtained consistent results.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by brightblonde
    I use Aqua Chek strips too. Sometimes the result chart on the labels are different from one bottle to another. Even when new & purchased at the same time. Why?
    The result chart on the bottle is calibrated for that batch of strips. Always use the chart from the bottle that you got the strip from.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

There are constant reports of some people using the salt test strips getting wildly wrong results, even though most users get spot on results. You may be one of the unlucky ones who is experiencing test interference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School