Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shelf life of Trichlor Tablets

1. Back To Top    #1

Shelf life of Trichlor Tablets

I am a new pool owner (4 months now) and have recently due to chlorine lock from high CYA switched to BBB method. I am stocking up and researching buying bleach, but am wondering what to do with the 40 or so remaining trichlor tablets I have. I am assuming at some point my CYA, currently 60 after draining, will go down and I could use the tablets, but I don't know how long that will be and if by then the tablets will still be a good source of chlorine...

16,250 gal, IG plaster; Jandy Pro Series Equipment: ePump Variable Speed 2.0HP (pool/spa), PlusHP High Head Pump 230/115 VAC .Up-rated 75HP (water feature), Versa Plumb 340 SF filter, & LXI 400KBTU Natural Gas Heater (N) Polymer Headers; Pentair In-line chlorine tablet feeder; Zodiac iAqualink; Clear O3 water purifying system; Polaris 9300 Sport robot, April 2013

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Shelf life of Trichlor Tablets

If you keep them dry and sealed in the tub they came in they will last a very long time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

You can use them once you get your CYA down to a reasonable level. For example, if you have to go out of town and need something to hold CYA up. I don't recognize your filter, but the occasional use if you have a DE or Sand filter is not too bad, since you'll be washing water out each time you backflush.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Make sure the lid is on tight and I'd guess they'll last years.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Elverson Pa.

Yea seal them up and they'll be good for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quakertown, PA

I switched to bleach about 3 years ago and had about a bucket left. I only used it for vacations and to bring up my CYA each spring (it seems to zero each winter). Just used up my last puck this spring. It'll keep as long as it's kept dry.
    Arvil, 30ft round, 21k gal, AG/vinyl(2003), StaRiteIII hp cartridge 150ft, Polaris65.
    6/30, Temp83F (28.3C), pH 7.8, FC 2.8 ppm, CC 0 ppm, TA 100, CH 80, CYA 40, -B4O7 30, CSI-0.17.