O ring won't stay seated. Help please!

Jun 20, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Ok I need some help. I have a carefree waterway sand filter with the multiport valve. A month ago it came unseated. The o ring did not look worn so I placed it back in using some lube. For a few days all was fine and then it came unseated again. So I bought a new o ring and since then the o ring comes unseated every couple of days! I had read about where some require glue? I'm down to this being my only option. Should I superglue it? Is there another problem I might be missing that could cause this? Otherwise it seems to work fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to tfp, CryHavok22 :wave:

Looking at pictures of you filter I see that classic design of the flat gasket sandwiched between the valve and the sand vessel and sealed when the large clamp is tightened? Not sure how it doesn't stay "seated"...do you mean it leaks?

Yes it starts leaking. Well, it blows water out while the pump is still running. I shut it off and water keeps leaking from around the valve. When I take it apart it seems as though the gasket is not seated properly. So I take it out, clean it, lube it, put it back in to place and everything is fine for a time. Any thoughts on using glue? The lube I'm using I got from the pool store, so I am sure it is the right the one.

I thought / still think that's what it is doing. I just took it apart again and now I think a little part of tank itself might be worn away. There are two split nut type collars that screw together to make the seal but under that there is a lip around the tank where part of it worn that could be letting the seal break. It's only a year old. Is waterway a cheap brand?

Maybe try tightening the clamp until there is just a slight compression of the seal, then see if it leaks and tighten just a 1/4 turn on each bolt (2 right?) until the leak stops, but before the ring "squirts".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tighten both sides together as well ~ don't tighten down one hard and then do the other one. A few turns on the first one, a few turns on the second one and continue alternating between the two until you get them both snug, turn on and see if it leaks. If it does do 1/4 turns and try again. You don't want to "go nuts" tightening until you feel exhausted. Start with a light snug, test and continue on with small adjustments to see if you can find the right pressure point.

You want them both tightened equally and you don't want "to kill it"

Edited to add ~ Use Lube too. I would lube the whole o-ring itself and where you are trying to seat it. When lubing the o-ring make sure it feels as it should ~ solid, no chunks missing ~ same size/thickness all around. When you lube where you are seating it make sure that area is clean and dry ~ nothing protruding, lube it & place the O-ring.

You could also have an o-ring replaced by someone else and they couldn't get an exact match. Fiddle with what you have there though and see if you can get it.

There are two collars. One goes on and tightens. Then another one threads over the first. I may have over tightened the outer one and damaged the tank. At least that's what I'm thinking now. Also thinking about ending my frustration with a new cartridge filter. Seems wasteful considering the age of this one. Ty for advice guys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.