Green Saltwater Pool help

KCampo

Jul 12, 2013
We moved into a new place, and the previous tenant let the pool go for about 8 months while living here....needless to say it was GREEN with algae everywhere. we cleaned most of it got it to a lesser green but stumped as what to do next without costing a fortune at guessing what to do. We have a 16 by 38 IG saltwater pool 3-8ft. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter Model s-244t pump with a aqua rite electronic chlorine generator....so far this is the strip test results as of 15 minutes ago
Total Hardness-100
Free Chlorine -0
PH-8.4
Alkalinity-240
CYA-100
:(

1) Order a test kit linked to in my signature. Without it we all will be guessing.
2) While waiting for the kit, read pool school a few times,
3) After you get the test kit, post up a full set of test results. If your CYA is over 100, which it may be, you should consider draining at least 1/2 the pool.
4) After you get the CYA to a manageable level, you will have to SLAM, which is linked to in my signature.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

The key to saving yourself money on clearing up the pool is investing in the knowledge found in Pool School and in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Test strips (besides for salt) are just not worth the paper they are on.

Here is some reading to get you started on understanding the chemistry:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

And here is how you clear up the pool:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
SLAM Process

With a SWG I'm not sure why the CYA is so high. I would imagine either the previous tenant used pucks and lots of shock, or you used lots of shock trying to clear it up. Using the shock products from the pool store will only continue to add to your problem. Shocking is a process... not a product.

As the others suggested, order a good test kit and do some reading here at pool school. It will sound a bit complicated at first, but you will quickly get a grasp of it once you get your first good test and we walk you through it.

Basically, you will be draining some of the water in your pool to make the cya level manageable, and we will go from there with the SLAM process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.