Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Green Saltwater Pool help

Green Saltwater Pool help

We moved into a new place, and the previous tenant let the pool go for about 8 months while living here....needless to say it was GREEN with algae everywhere. we cleaned most of it got it to a lesser green but stumped as what to do next without costing a fortune at guessing what to do. We have a 16 by 38 IG saltwater pool 3-8ft. Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter Model s-244t pump with a aqua rite electronic chlorine generator....so far this is the strip test results as of 15 minutes ago
    Total Hardness-100
    Free Chlorine -0
    PH-8.4
    Alkalinity-240
    CYA-100

Re: Green Saltwater Pool help

1) Order a test kit linked to in my signature. Without it we all will be guessing.
    2) While waiting for the kit, read pool school a few times,
    3) After you get the test kit, post up a full set of test results. If your CYA is over 100, which it may be, you should consider draining at least 1/2 the pool.
    4) After you get the CYA to a manageable level, you will have to SLAM, which is linked to in my signature.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

Welcome to TFP!!!

The key to saving yourself money on clearing up the pool is investing in the knowledge found in Pool School and in one of the Recommended Test Kits.

Test strips (besides for salt) are just not worth the paper they are on.

Here is some reading to get you started on understanding the chemistry:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

And here is how you clear up the pool:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    SLAM Process
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

With a SWG I'm not sure why the CYA is so high. I would imagine either the previous tenant used pucks and lots of shock, or you used lots of shock trying to clear it up. Using the shock products from the pool store will only continue to add to your problem. Shocking is a process... not a product.

As the others suggested, order a good test kit and do some reading here at pool school. It will sound a bit complicated at first, but you will quickly get a grasp of it once you get your first good test and we walk you through it.

Basically, you will be draining some of the water in your pool to make the cya level manageable, and we will go from there with the SLAM process.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Suziqzer
    With a SWG I'm not sure why the CYA is so high.
    It may not be...remember these are test strip numbers and cya is probably what the strips do the worst with.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

True, true.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.