PLEASE HELP! Re: aluminum sulfate

Jun 21, 2013
I have a 18'x48" intex pool and the intex saltwater system. My daughter and I have been getting green hair. I researched on here and unplugged the copper part of the saltwater system and drained part of the pool. Still getting green hair so I did what the saltwater system book recommends under the troubleshooting section. It said to add aluminum sulfate. I researched that and it said to add the AS and let it sit overnight and then vacuum the next morning. I went out to vacuum this morning and there is a "cloud" all in the middle section of the pool. The rest of the water is clear. This isn't something I can vacuum up because it looks just like a cloud. If the "cloud" gets disturbed or I turn the pump on the whole pool becomes cloudy. Clearly I have screwed up by adding the AS. Does anyone know anything I can do to get my clear water back? I would rather deal with green hair than this! Thanks!

Which filter do you have?

If it's a sand filter you can add a little DE to it and it should clear it up. If it's a cartridge filter then it should filter it out. You may have to run it a few days but it should clear it.

Okay, so here I am well over a week later and I still have the "cloud" of aluminum sulfate on the bottom of my pool. I have faithfully ran my pump NONSTOP since adding it and clean the filter religiously. I also keep the water "stirred up" trying to filter it out. All of my readings are good except calcium hardness which has always been low (even when I had my sparkling clear water). The cloudiness HAS to be from the AS. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get it out other than draining the pool? UGH! BIG lesson learned here!

If it has settled to the bottom, you can vacuum it up by moving the vacuum very slowly and gently so you don't create any currents that will move the dust around.

Alternatively, if you keep stirring it up it will eventually be filtered out.

I have tried vacuuming it up but nothing gets vacuumed. I mean, it's literally a cloud do IDK how I'm supposed to vacuum it up. The only vacuum I have is the one that came with the pool which attaches to a hose so maybe that's the prob.

Your right, bella. The "vac" that comes with these pools is about useless and will do nothing to remove that cloud. You'll need a vacuum that attaches directly to the pool intake and uses the suction of the filter pump to pull that cloud out of the water and through your filter.

Tough lesson learned though... next time consider asking the experts here before adding anything outside of the suggested BBB chemicals to an otherwise sparkly pool. :oops:

Stick around and I'm sure you'll get it cleaned up.

Thanks so much for all your help! I did ask the experts here before I added the AS. No one really knew much about it which should have been a huge clue as to why I should NOT have put that in my pool! LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have no other way to vacuum this "cloud" you could always siphon it to waste. Using a garden hose or a sufficient length of large diameter tubing, attach one end to your current vacuum pole <--- (finally useful for something!) with tape or zip ties. Fill this hose/tube with water. Keeping one end under the waterline, seal the other end with your thumb and remove it from the pool. Relocate this free end to somewhere outside the pool and well below the waterline. Release the seal on the end of your hose/tubing and water 'should' begin to flow out of the pool. Now using the pole, slowly maneuver the suction end of your hose/tubing into the center of the cloud and let the siphon do the work until your satisfied. You may need to add more water after the fact, but that's easy!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.