New pool spe'c - does everything look right

Jun 27, 2013
I'm buying a above ground oval pool 15x30. I've read some of the post and learned a bigger pump is not always a good thing. Can you guys take a look and make sure everything looks good (is the pump to big). Am I missing any thing other than the closing cover and closing kit?
I'm looking at the Madeira, it's manufactured by Asahi pools.

150sq ft Cartridge Filter (I'm gonna get this replaced with a sand filter)
2HP 2Speed Pump (low & high speed)
30” Mighty Step (steps going in to the pool that can attach to the deck)
Outside Safety Ladder
Skimmer
Ball Valves (2)
Solar Cover
Vacuum hose
Maintenance kit (Vacuum head, thermometer, test strips, skimmer net, backwash hose)
Opening Chemicals
Telescopic pole

Total is $2525

Thanks

For a sand filter we would recommend a minimum of 2.2 sq. ft for your ~12000 gallon pool.

Post the model of the pump, it is likely too big...I think you should look at 1 hp 2-speeds such as the hayward matrix or the pentair dynamo.

Skip the opening chemicals if you can.

Yup. Stay bigger than a 20" sand filter (BTW the minimum we would recommend for a cartridge would be 180 sqft). And I agree with linen's pump suggestions as well ... save yourself some money upfront AND on electricity.

EDIT: Disclaimer ... we both assumed your average depth is 4' to come up with the filter size recommendations ... if that is not right, then the recommendations would change.

Assuming that is the waterway "supreme" that is too much pump for your pool. As to staying away from waterway in general...that I am not sure about. It does look like they offer a 3/4 2-speed...but it still appears to move a lot of water.

Thanks for the help. They have a 22" sand filter. I have a few other questions
I've read to stay away from the green frog, correct ?
What am I doing in place of start up chemicals?
Should I get a pad for under the liner?
Any objections to the foam pool cove ?

Thanks again

A 22" inch filter (2.6 sq. f.t) would be a good fit for your pool.

Skip the frog system, no need to add metals to your water.

We can help you get started with chemicals. Most likely you will need bleach/liquid chlorine and stabilizer (cya)...and maybe some Muriatic Acid. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

A pad is a good idea to protect liner from rocks and roots. You could also consider extruded polystyrene for the bottom...but that is definitely optional.

Foam pool cove works great...but again is not necessary.

Are you doing the install or are you having someone else do it?

I decided it would be easier to use a foam cove then build it from dirt, my luck it wouldn't stay.
I'm doing the install myself. I'm going use a 2x4 with. 4 foot level and do 2 circles to make sure the entire area is level, then ill get a laser level to verify its level.
I need to bury a brick for all post and the buttress, correct?

I assume I lay the pad on top of the metal straps?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.