Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Demand Mystery!

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Demand Mystery!

Hi Everyone!

I am having an issue with my pool...obviously I noticed a small amount of mustard algae in my pool a few weeks ago and did 2 nights of the overnight shock test and got finally got the proper result. However, since then, my pool still does not seem to hold chlorine very well. I have almost 30000 gallons here in Texas. The sun hits my pool about 9:30 and faces west so gets sun ALL day until 8:30pm. I seem to be losing over 3ppm daily. Last summer I recall losing only 1-1.5ppm daily. Is this normal or do I have some residual issue going on. Also, how long should I run my pump for? I have it set for 10am to 9pm. Should it run earlier when the sun hits it first? Is that maybe why I lose more when the pool isn't running and the sun hits it? Here are my test results and thanks for the help!

FC = 4
    CC = 0.5
    TA = 80
    pH = 7.5
    CYA = 45
    28K River Sand Plaster Finish - 2.5 HP Stealth Pump - Jandy 60 Sq Ft DE Filter - LAARS LT400 Natural Heater - Polaris 280 - Jandy PDA PS6 Computer Center

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Chlorine Demand Mystery!

I think your remembered loss from last year was a little optimistic. Most pools lose 2-3 ppm daily. I would suggest you bring your CYA up to around 50 ppm.....that will reduce your FC loss enough to make it worth doing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine Demand Mystery!

Thanks for the help Dave!
    28K River Sand Plaster Finish - 2.5 HP Stealth Pump - Jandy 60 Sq Ft DE Filter - LAARS LT400 Natural Heater - Polaris 280 - Jandy PDA PS6 Computer Center